Decisions, decisions. 2B's vs 3.1TL's and SRS's vs 1.2's

Options
candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Quite a few polks popped up on the houston craigslist so go get em polkies.

As much as I want to upgrade my 2b's to the 3.1tl's and my srs's to the 1.2's, I don't know how much I would gain even after going to listen to them which I did today.

I think I would have to audition them in-house before I could take such a "blind" leap since I have tubes in the mix and he didn't.
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Go for the 1.2's.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Yep the 1.2 if they are TLs. Upgrade the tweats and the crossovers and you have an incredible natural sounding tone.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Nothing, just a bigger soundstage. Don't get caught up in the CP idolatry.

I would work on your front and back end, then worry about upgrading your loudspeakers....by then I would hope that you're beyond vintage SDA. You should always keep a pair handy in the closet when us freaks show up with a keg and handful of German chicks. YMMV.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The force is with me. I never thought I would pass up a pair of 1.2's but his $2100 asking price is a little too steep for me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The force is with me. I never thought I would pass up a pair of 1.2's but his $2100 asking price is a little too steep for me.

IMHO $2100 is a rip off for non-upgraded 1.2s. I paid $1500 for mine and put another thousand in upgrades.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2007
    Options
    But your a freak anomally, not the norm...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Looks like the decision was made before the question was asked. :rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    But they are not really $2100.00, My 1C's were $500 for the pair, But I only paid $200. That's because I sold my CRS+'s for $300.

You should be able to get at least $1500 for your SRS's, More if you already upgraded your tweeters.

Las

How about he sells his SRSs for $1500 and pays $1500 for the 1.2TLs? No matter how you look at it, $2100 is steep.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Joe, you stole yours. $2100.00 is more than reasonable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Really??? You have email!
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I guess not if $2100 is a reasonable price for a pair that has no upgrades. Wow it looks like we are caught up in SDA idolatry! LOL!