Broken sl 2500 tweeter from Monitor 7

Options
ashevillebob
ashevillebob Posts: 4
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I got a pair of Monitor 7 series 2s (I think) 1990 dates on everything. UPS delivery off of ebay. When unpacking I heard and felt a heavy object slide across the bottom of one speaker and my knew something bad was a foot.
Opened up the passive and there it was, the magnet off the tweeter. I took the tweeter out and sized it up with the magnet and ofcourse the magnet sucked tight to the metal base, so tight that I really had to pull hard to get it off.
Question: Could a hard bounce in shipping cause a tweeter magnet to drop off? (the way it sucked on and didnt want to let go again, I dont think so.)
Im guessing high volume and hard music could pop the glue and cause a magnet to drop off? Should I give my ebay seller hell or chalk it up to bad luck? ordering the RD0198-1s monday regardless.
Post edited by ashevillebob on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Shipping any kind of speakers is always a challenge and a risk...especially some of the older Polk Monitor, RTA and SDA series. The woofer magnets seem to fall off more than anything and this is the first I've heard of the tweeters doing it. But, I've heard of it with other companies. There is quite a bit of bulk on those magnets as they aren't made of neodymium like some of the newer speakers out there. So, one or two good drops, even if they are packed well, can make a 15+ year old magnet come off.

I wouldn't give him hell about it because it's part of the risk with speaker shipping. How did the rest of the speakers make it? No dinged up corners, etc? The RD0's will be a nice replacement for those...from what I hear.

Welcome to the Club...you are amongst friends here.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I just received a pair of 1984 RTA12Bs with the same issue. The magnet on the SL 1000 tweeter was bounced off. This is a shipping issue that occurs when the shipping company opens the trap door on their trucks and the stuff all falls out on to a belt. Different companies do it differently. It can be fixed. keith
  • ashevillebob
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I just epoxyed the magnet back on, but it is now much lower than the good one. Most of the fero-fluid had leaked out and soaked into the poly stuffing, so I guess I should have got a squirt of the good stuff before epoxy! Oh well!
    I was actually suprised that it worked at all. The good tweeter thats still filled with fluid has an easy feel on the dome and you can see the ring of the dome move freely, the bad reglued tweeter has a pressurized feel that makes me want to stick it with a pin and hope for the best. What do ya think?
  • ashevillebob
    edited September 2007
    Options
    other than the magnet, the speakers did arrive as discribed. I guess I wont give the seller a hard time. Its not like its the first time something showed up in peices. The UPS guy has a love/hate thing going with our dog. Sometimes packages hit our porch a little harder that they should too. Ive found two of those plastic pens with no real tip, chewed up in the yard. I can just imagine the UPS guy smacking the dog with a handheld in one hand and a speaker box in the other.
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited September 2007
    Options
    UPS=United Package Smashers