How Much Sound Comes Out Of The Rear Surround Speakers, On Most Movies

ralph perez
ralph perez Posts: 32
edited February 2003 in Speakers
HI

As some of you's might have noticed on my previous threads that I have posted, that I am currently in the process of upgrading my rear surround speakers (FX300I).

After some considiration, I started to ask myself is it worth the extra money to upgrade the 300. My thoughts are as follows:

How much sound does it really come out of the rear surround speakers?

If I was to upgrade to either the FX500I (If it could be found)or the FX501, the alternative to the 500. Would I really notice a difference on the sound, just because 500 or the 50 have a bit larger drivers and tweeters? Would the return of my cash outlay equal the sound difference? If significant at all?

My question is to whom ever is reading this thread is what are your thoughts and experience with the rear surround speakers and what is your opinion on my two above thoughts or question.

Thanks
Post edited by ralph perez on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    ralph,
    1) more and more from newer DVD's (your the one with the 7 channel setup)
    2) I believe I touched on a question just like this. Personaly I would not use fx's for rear surrounds - direct radiating is the way to go. IMO And much of the HT industry.
    I suggest a pair of rt35i's. They should match your fx500i's seemlessly. When I go to 7 channel it will be a pair 35's or center channels cs400's (cs245i's).
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited February 2003
    Hey Ralph,
    Sounds like we have very similar systems. I have the 300's in the rear and unlike Scott found them to be quite an improvement over somthing similar to the 35's. For what it's worth I recently got the Psw 202 for free with a recent Polk purchase...I decided to hook it up to my rears and was surprised at the amount of information that was not being reproduced by the 300's and was picked up by the sub.
    But that also might help you out as well, it might just be cheaper and easier for you to hook up a sub to your system(rears)...depending on your room constraints.
    Good Luck Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Me & Scott against the World!!
    Go with direct radiating speakers for the rear channels in a 7.1 channel system.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited February 2003
    Sorry guys, I prefer more diffuse surround over direct radiating for HT, but if my source material preference was as much for music than for HT, I would have opted for direct radiating. So, I just switch to bipole for occasional music.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Me & Scott against the World!!
    Go with direct radiating speakers for the rear channels in a 7.1 channel system.

Make that three - I use CS245i's in my new 7.1 rig. I finished all the connections and wiring today and I'm using POS tiny KLH speaks for the side surrounds, but everything works perfectly.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Four - Definitely DR for the rear. Dipole/Bipole for side surrounds but DR for the back.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack
    Four - Definitely DR for the rear. Dipole/Bipole for side surrounds but DR for the back.
    Yep - thats the way to go. You still have diffused sound on the sides but the rear needs to be direct mimicing the front stage. It all becomes sooo clear when you hear a few 6 channel scenes with front to back and back to front "sounds".
    Make that three - I use CS245i's in my new 7.1 rig. I finished all the connections and wiring today and I'm using POS tiny KLH speaks for the side surrounds, but everything works perfectly.
    Waiting to hear how it all turns out Dr. Spec and new pics also.;)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2003
    i have 500 all the way around and they sound good. love them.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited February 2003
    Make that four - I use CS245i and CS245.