Subwoofer Help

MJD
MJD Posts: 6
Does anyone think the PSW650 is better than the PSW404 ?

The PSW650 has less wattage than the PSW404 but (2)10" drivers. I currently have my PSW404 volume set a 3/4 the way up (3 o'clock) to get the Bass I want, is this OK??

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Thank you
Post edited by MJD on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    3 o'clock is a little bit above, but it won't hurt your sub.. some rooms need a little more umph to get decent sounds. where is your sub in the room? putting it in a corner will increase the sound a bit.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    The volume setting on the sub amp is pretty much meaningless.

The total signal input to the sub is a combination of the pre-out input strength and the volume control setting on the sub amp.

It is quite possible to overdrive a sub with the volume set at 1/4.

You didn't give us enough info for the whole picture.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MJD
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by danger boy
    3 o'clock is a little bit above, but it won't hurt your sub.. some rooms need a little more umph to get decent sounds. where is your sub in the room? putting it in a corner will increase the sound a bit.

The sub is in a corner, for music I prefer it at about the 1 o'clock position and mainly 2 for movies, my room is 25 x 12 and the floor is 16" stone tile. My receiver is set to subwoofer 0db and only goes negative not positive.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    I would say if you sub level at the receiver is max'ed out and your sub amp volume is at 3/4, and your room is that large, then you are probably over driving the sub.

Only way to tell is calibrate the system with an SPL meter and test tones/calibration DVD. If the sub is running way hot with your current settings, you have your answer for sure.

SVS
  • MJD
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I would say if you sub level at the receiver is max'ed out and your sub amp volume is at 3/4, and your room is that large, then you are probably over driving the sub.

Only way to tell is calibrate the system with an SPL meter and test tones/calibration DVD. If the sub is running way hot with your current settings, you have your answer for sure.

Thank you for your help!!!, The Amp is not running hot & if I go to the 1/2 way mark the sub outputs very little bass, do you suggest a larger sub like the PSW650?? lower wattage but dual 10"
  • Dr. Spec
    edited February 2003
    I suggest system and sub calibration with an SPL meter and test tones/calibration DVD. I suspect you are running the sub hard, but that remains to be seen.

SVS