update on chatter, other thread deleted

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I deleted the thread about DVD chatter... I talked to Apex and they have never heard of this problem, and I can't find mention of it on any independent sites. They recommended resetting the player to factory-default settings.. which makes sense, because...

...we'd had the player about 5 months (using two channel analog output) when we got our first DD receiver, and despite a long history of audio, I had zero first-hand experience with DD. I didn't know I needed a special cable for the digital output, so I was using a cheapy old patch cord.. and spent a week thinking that either 1) my new receiver was broken, or 2) the player was not set up properly. I, being the injunear that I am, screwed around with the player's settings.

After asking on these forums and actually *reading* the manuals more carefully, I discovered the need for the digital coax cable. But I never reset the player... hopefully that will do it. I'll let you know.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Not bashing but are we really bringing up problems with Apex DVD players. The ones at Wal-Mart and truck stops for $39.95.
    Problems - well DUHHHHH!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Not bashing but are we really bringing up problems with Apex DVD players. The ones at Wal-Mart and truck stops for $39.95.
    Problems - well DUHHHHH!!!!!:rolleyes:
    well that was alittle harsh.
    Using the correct cable for the job......thats what it's about man.It's about the cable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Cables don't do crap if the electronics they are pluged into don't work very well.;)
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Ive seen, plugged up, used, watched DVD's on APEX DVD Players. Their the closest thing to crap u can buy without actually buying crap itself. My 2 cents, they skip alot, and they....well...they suck!\

BTW - for 40.00 bucks...they can't really be beaten and battered, u get what u pay for
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    Their ((THEY'RE)) the closest thing to crap u can buy without actually buying crap itself.

MX actually got me to laugh..... :lol::lol::lol:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • burdette
    edited January 2003
    Say what you want.. scooby dooby yippee skippee..

I reset the factory settings as Apex suggested .. and the chatter problem is gone. Gone gone gone. I should have assumed earlier that the problem lay with ME **** around with settings.

So.. say all you want.. I spent $140 and have progessive scan, I can play pretty much any kind of disc I want, component video outputs, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc... And now, NOT ONE problem whatsoever. We've used this player almost everyday for over a year and the ONLY problem we've had was caused by my inexperience. Msty... give me a break.. get a real system then you can slam mine... as for other comments about Apex.. whatever.. I didn't spend $40.. but if I had, I'd most likely still be telling you to stick it. Scooby doobie doo... I spent less than you...

Back to reality.. the problem is gone. The player works flawlessly.

I have all upgraded cables.. AR clearance from Parts Express, and one Dayton cable. See photo. I plan on submitting to the systems showcase, but for now, at last, I grabbed the digital camera and snapped a few.... can't seem to get them to be within the post, so I guess I'll post again...
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Is the progressive scan for that tv you own?
    If your tv is not HD then progressive scan is doing nothing. Glad to hear that Apex you have is working good. I do like the equipment in the wall.
  • burdette
    edited January 2003
    Nah, the TV can't take progressive scan, and we've no plans to buy a new one anytime soon. But the player is ready, regardless. I didn't shop for progressive scan, just got it on the player I chose.

The components are in the wall because I built that room as a pool room and wanted them out of the way. The little white rectangle in the upper corner is a stereo-pair speaker jack, with the other side next to the back of the components. Again, for a pool room, to get the speakers up out of the way. The doors on the rack open all the way to lie against the wall, which is how they usually are. The room doesn't look as.. "big" in person as it does in the photo, it is actually much more intimate.

I've heard the complaints on Apex.. then again, I've heard the complaints about the flawed Onkyo receiver.. the disgruntlement of many people with HK, Sony's repair history...
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited February 2003
    I also have an Apex player for about a year and have not had any problem. This player plays anything you throw at it including jpex pictures. The best thing is that it was only $99.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by kn505
    I also have an Apex player for about a year and have not had any problem. This player plays anything you throw at it including jpex pictures. The best thing is that it was only $99.
    That's it- this did it!!!!! All Apex and Bose for me. You guys have been steering me wrong.:rolleyes:
    My Denon DVD2800 is going in the trash.:lol:
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited February 2003
    Scott,

Don't trash it, we need to keep our earth clean for the next generations. Just send it to me.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by kn505
    Scott,

Don't trash it, we need to keep our earth clean for the next generations. Just send it to me.
    Nice try!!!!!:D