Silly question

Leforge
Leforge Posts: 3
Just out of morbid curiousity, what exactly would happen if the jumpers were left on the speakers when bi-wiring? The warning says it could cause damage but I have always kind of wondered what would happen.

Leforge
Post edited by Leforge on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    try it and let us know. :p

JUST KIDDING!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    You would probably NUKE your AMP. I would not advise it.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Bi-wiring, I don't see why you would have any adverse affects (other than tonal), it should be fine.

Bi-amping, watch the F out : 'She's gonna blow captain!'
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Leforge
    Leforge Posts: 3
    edited January 2003
    No I don't think I'll try it!! Thanks for the answers. I was just curious.

Leforge
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Bi-amping, watch the F out : 'She's gonna blow captain!'

Time to launch a captain's log. :p
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    I tried both ways when I bi-wired my SRS’s. First, I tried w/o jumpers then w/ them. I ended up leaving them on. Did this because:
    - I wanted to be sure at start I had each pair of wires in-phase;
    - I did not hear a difference after I added the jumpers; and
    - I’m lazy… :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited February 2003
    Well I believe the warning is because when you bi wire or bi amp with those jumpers in you are basically connecting the output of the amplifier to the output of the amplifier, or in bi amping your connecting the outputs of the amplifiers to each other. Feeding a signal into the amplifier at its ouput is potentially very bad. This could destroy your amp.

Do not keep those jumpers in if you bi-amp or bi-wire. This may not do anything today, but if your stressing your components you may drastically shorten the life span of the amplifier.

Just remember, when a manual says not to do something it is for a good reason.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by howie777
    Well I believe the warning is because when you bi wire or bi amp with those jumpers in you are basically connecting the output of the amplifier to the output of the amplifier, or in bi amping your connecting the outputs of the amplifiers to each other. Feeding a signal into the amplifier at its ouput is potentially very bad. This could destroy your amp.

Do not keep those jumpers in if you bi-amp or bi-wire. This may not do anything today, but if your stressing your components you may drastically shorten the life span of the amplifier.

Howie777,

You're bi-wire concerns just aren't well founded.

In bi-wiring a channel both runs originate from the same amp out terminals. You can terminate this pair of wires at a single pair of speaker terminals if you like. The impact is no diferent than if you rewired with a lower gauge wire. Just more wire cross-section carrying the same signal from the same source points to the same end point lowering the wire's impedance. Terminating at separate, jumpered post pairs is the same. The jumpers simply make the paired posts appear to be "one" electrically speaking. Just be sure both runs are "pos to pos" and "neg to neg".

Properly run, bi-wiring with the jumpers on produces no problems, today, tomorrow, forever. I'd say my M1.5t/ SRS set up's 8-years and going strong is proof enough of this.

Bi-amping is a different matter. You bi-amp to provide separate signals to separate drivers in 4-post speakers. Before even considering the prospects of amp damage, jumpers just plain defeat bi-amping's purpose. They must be removed in this case.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD