Peerless in an SDA1??

Options
geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have SDA1s that have the silver faced SL1000. I do not have a problem with this tweeter and I have several speakers with it but am wondering if putting some Peerless in the SDA would offer anything? Has anyone done this?? Would a guy need to put 4 in? I have the RDO also but while smooth I do not think they have much extention and air.
Seperate question. The I think the SL1000 sounds pretty good but I know that speakers i have heard with the SL2000 sound thin and sligtly bright. Is it just my ears playing tricks? Is there a difference? Has anyone ever seen a response curve for any of these tweeters?? thanks,keith
Post edited by geppy1 on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2007
    Options
    1) The Peerless has different electrical and sonic characteristics than the sl1000 so other than an experiment I wouldn't recommend the swap.

2) The sl2000 has a documented +5dB spike at about 13kHz which can be fatiguing and make the highs sound forward and adds a bit of "resonance" to certain vocals and intruments around that freq.

H9

P.S. To me the RD0's rule! Plenty of air and extension.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    Options
    If you decide to replace the 1000s with Peerless tweets...then change 'em all.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"