HDTV and DirecTV

Options
-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Comcast sucks. There's no gettin' around it here in Baltimore if you want a digital signal, and they are rasing prices like crazy. My last month's bill informed me that they were increasing the price $10, a savings of over 35% off! :rolleyes:

So my alternative is DirecTV. But if I'm makin' the switch, I'm MAKIN' it. I want HD, I want 5.1, I want it all! Unfortunately, my want comes with a hefty price tag. I went to American Satellite to price out systems, and the cheapest 2-room, HD, dolby package is $729.

OUCH!

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I out of my mind to spend this kind of money just for HDTV? Are there any alternative receivers that won't take a big a chunk outta my pocket? I've seen HDTV signals, and I'm drooling just thinking about it ... but I'm not sure it's worth the cost right now because of the limited broadcasting.

Give me some direction!

~JB
Post edited by -justin- on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Justin,
    imo it's better to wait. I am on the fence too on upgrading to hdtv programming, due too buggy receivers (sony hd-sat200, zenith hd-520, etc) along with premium prices, and lastly limited broadcasting as you point out. Upgrade to regular directv, however, is a definite yes. You will get 5.1 on selected program on hbo/cinemax. The cost is still outweigh the benefit....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • -justin-
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Than maybe I should wait on the HD, but go ahead and get the 5.1 receiver (only $100 at bestbuy). I just love going into tweeter and seeing the HD sat. feeds they have on those Mitsubishi projection TVs. It looks incredible!

~JB
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The HDTV channels available via satellite are limited to an HBO, a Showtime, and "HDTV net" showings of various Discovery, Discovery Travel, sports, and some other channels.

It's just not worth the price.

A friend of mine in the biz tells me that by the end of 2003, there should be double the HDTV channels and the prices of the receivers should drop by a few hundred dollars as DirecTV tries to push more HDTV receivers into peoples' homes.

I say wait until end of the year. You'll get a better deal.

I have regular cable and the signal absolutely sucks. If I got digital cable or HDTV signals, I'd be in a heap of trouble. (I've already commented on my lack of studying concerns due to my home theatre setup... imagine if I got an HDTV signal so I could fully use the digital TV...)
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Direct TV - Been with them from day one. Some of the best customer/service i have ever experienced hands down. Ditching local cable 5 years ago was the best investment I ever made.
    As for HD dish (sat) - clearly still not worth the investment just yet.
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    HD cable?

As far as I know, digital cable is not high definition.

Maybe it's a location thing, but I was under the impression that there is no high def digital cable being marketed yet.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • Davidv
    Davidv Posts: 94
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Direct tv is good. I had it for 3 years. It outdid the cable by a long shot. Last summer I got hooked up with digital cable and internet for the same price as I paid for direct tv and aol. The internet is supremely better. The cable is excellent. The picture is just as good as direct tv. I also don't lose my signal everytime a heavy rain falls, or it snows. I also don't have to pay $10 more for my local channels, or have an external antenna hooked up. Besides that the weather channel actually gives me my forecast rather than a regional forecast. As for Hd or 5.1 I am unsure. You just have to wheigh the pro's and con's and decide what is right for you. Good luck Justin!
    Beer on tap is great, until the keg runs dry and the liqour store is closed!:D

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well, i don't know about you, but one thing that will instantly make an HD box worth it is when/if the press release comes across announcing ESPN HD on Directv. :) They are supposed to start broadcasting in April, last I heard.

BTW, the price they quoted seems high. We have something at the store I work at for like $599 I think. That would be for the HD receiver, HD dish, and install for new subscribers. I could be wrong, I don't venture over to the tv area all that much. Want me to throw one on a truck for ya??? Heh.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Fireshoes - $600 sounds about right. OOOuuch!!!!
    Bring on HD DVD!:D
  • -justin-
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well, i don't know about you, but one thing that will instantly make an HD box worth it is when/if the press release comes across announcing ESPN HD on Directv. They are supposed to start broadcasting in April, last I heard.

Simply awesome. Too bad it's a month from March (oh the madness). I'll have to look into what stations will be converting in the near future.

Davidv: Everytime it rains the dish goes out?? I can handle the snow, since it doesn't seem to snow too much in Maryland, but rain?

~JB
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It should only go out during the heaviest rain. I fit's going out with light rain and snow, then it's probably not alligned properly.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    My signal level always reads about 88. When heavy storms pass it will fall below 80 and thats when I lose reception.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***