Opinions wanted on planned/proposed system please

Options
bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I'm planning on getting a pair of Polk LSi25s for mains (set to large), LSi center, 2 different pairs of Lsi f/xs for 7.1 movies (1 pair will be side wall surrounds in dipole mode, other pair will be rear wall center surrounds in bipole mode), and for 5.1 SACD/DVD audio music sources a pair of LSi9s mounted on stands with tweeters at ear level angled in towards listening position in the rear corners. Also dual seperate subs for movies only, most likely will be SVSs ( LSi25s own self powerd built in subs will handle duties when listening to music).
Amplification for the Polks will be provided by each and every single solitary speaker in the system being passively biamped (by simply removing the jumper straps between the 2 sets of 5 way binding posts on each speaker and wiring each of them to a set of power amp speaker wire binding posts) with a total of 7 Harman Kardon PA2000 power amps, which is rated at 100 watts per channel of pure Harman power at 8 ohms (not sure what it is at 4 ohms though). Note that the rear wall pair of LSi f/x and the rear corner pair of Lsi9s will share the same power amps by having a speaker selector such as those available from Niles Audio switching them back and forth as duties require for either music or movies. In effect, each speaker in the set will have it's own dedicated, bridged HK PA2000 power amp of 200 watts (at 8 ohms) power driving it. Also, a dedicated, seperate pre/pro (which is still undecided at this time). Source will most likely be a Pioneer Elite 45 combination DVD audio/video and SACD player.
Opinions, comments, and suggestions welcomed, and thanks in advance.
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Drop the rear FX's and use either your proposed 9's or a pair of 7's. Use the money you save for your pre-amp. Are the H/K amp's rated for 4ohm nominal speakers?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I don't think they are rated at 4 ohms, I just checked out their website and all the stats say @8 ohms, i'f they did 4 i would think they would say 4,
    Neither the pa-2000 or the 4000 are rated at 4 ohms,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • bigsexy1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Faster, you are right, I also checked. However, I'm sure that they can handle it, but just to be sure, I guess that I'll have to call Harman to verify it. If they won't, then I'll have to go with something other than the LSis, as I've already bought the amps.

Frank, I happen to already have an Adcom GFA5400 and a GFA5000. I think that seem to be just a tad bit little on the "bright" side compared to Harman Kardon.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    Options
    WOW !:eek:

Bigsexy1, that would be an awesome setup where we'd all like to see ! Be sure to show it off with some pics !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • bigsexy1
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Well, it looks like I'm back in business, as here's the response I got from HK:

Hello,

The PA2000 should have no problem driving the Polk speakers.

Jason Zidle
    Marketing Communications Manager
    Erikson Consumer
    Ph:514-457-2555
    Fx:514-457-0055

Original Message
    Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 8:46 PM
    To: info@eriksonconsumer.com
    Subject: Harmankardon.com: Questions regarding Harman Kardon Products

Hello. Can the HK PA 2000 drive 4 ohm speakers, specifically POLK LSi
    series, and particularly if each speaker is passively biamped with it's
    own PA 2000?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tech Note:
    209.214.160.34,,Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)