Crossover Freq. for LSI

nellis8166
nellis8166 Posts: 292
edited February 2003 in Speakers
I have LSI'9s as mains and a LSIC. They are driven by an Adcom GFA 7400. I am kind of torn as to where to set the crossover. I run all my speaks on small.
Polk lists the freq response at 50hrz on the low end for these speaks. Am I safe to set the crossover at 60hrz for my mains and center??? I have always been inclined to let the speaks handle as much of the signal as possible, especially with the amazing quality of the LSI's.
I guess my main question is can they safely handle anything down to 60hrz??? Keep in mind they are bi-amped and being fed 150 watts of high current power. Thanks!
Regards,
Nat
RTi10
CSi5
RTi28
SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
-J. James
Post edited by nellis8166 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Sure, they can take it. It's really a matter of what filter point gives you the best FR in the 20-100 Hz range.

Run an FR sweep at the 60 filter point and then again at the 80 filter point and see which one looks the best.

What sub are you running, Nat?
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited February 2003
    Dr.
    I have gone through a couple of subs in the last couple of months. I got an Infinity Alpha a couple of months ago cheap and I was not pleased with it so I took it back. I replaced it with a Velodyne CHT-10 and it is the best I have heard yet and it was easy on the wallet too. I think this one is a keeper. If I had the money I would look into a HSU or SVS because all of the rave I have read here. I have a fairly small room so I just don't think it is practical at this point. I have already shaken stuff off the downstairs neighbors walls and that was not even pushing it.
    I have seen many comments on doing a FR sweep. Could you explain more about that and what I need to do it???
    Thanks Doc.

Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Go here and download and burn this file to a disc to be played in your DVD player.

http://www2.markfitzsimmons.com:8000/gomer/

Go here and print out the RS meter correction factors (if that is your SPL meter).

http://members.tripod.com/~terryctheater/shivaphotoalbum/page11.html

Give me your email address and send you a custom Excel file for plotting your results. Just follow my lead on the spreadsheet.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS