SDA SRS2's...ok, I see what you mean about them

Options
avguytx
avguytx Posts: 1,628
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I picked them up yesterday afternoon and actually got them unloaded from the back of the Explorer and into the garage. Then, amazingly enough, I got all 135lbs (X2) of them into the house and into my office. Of course, I had to move 100lbs (X2) of SDA 1C's to another room first. (sheesh) I have to say that I agree with everyone about how these would sound versus the 1C's. The bass is bigger, the soundstage larger, the dynamics better, etc. It's amazing what more cabinet volume and a larger passive will do for a speaker! I have them hooked up to my Carver M-1.0t and man, they rock. The drivers move a lot more than the 1C's it seems. I'm supposing that since these are 4-ohm speakers, the amp is producing more power...which it's rated at 350wpc at 4-ohm. Of course, that's just nominal impedance I know.

Well, there are parts where the 1C's sound better on some things due to that the crossovers were upgraded to Solens caps and Mills resistors. It looks like another re-capping project sometime in the future. But, I'm not in a major hurry yet. I want to "get to know" these speakers in their stock form but it will happen someday soon. I do notice that the left channel has a "raspy" sound to it so I'll have to figure out if that's driver related or crossover related. It's only noticeable once in awhile depending on what's playing. More so on quieter passages of various music. Anyone notice that on theirs before?

I'll get some pictures of them soon as there is the top section (and bottom lip) that were painted or stained black and I want some opinions of the best way to remove it. I may test it in some inconspicuous area to see if paint thinner (a small amount) will take it off. I don't want to damage them since the cabinets are in great shape. I'm kind of embarrassed to show you guys pictures of them in my office as they are not set up for the best performance. But, this is the room that I do my listening in and so I have to make the best of it till I build a house someday with a "man cave"/basement/2-channel room. The room is rather small for them I'm sure since it's about 12 X 14 but it serves the purpose for now.

Thanks for all the recommendations to go get these and for all the help given and questions answered. I'm just glad I was the second in line and the first guy didn't call back when he said he would! Soiset, sorry you had to miss out on these. It's not too often that I make the find! It seems like I've moved up in the "ranks" of Polk's slowly but surely since I first joined here. First the $2 a pair (yes, that's right) Monitor 10B's at a garage sale, a pair of SDA 1C's from the original owner with manuals and receipt for $400 and now the SRS2's for the great price of $200! Now where the hell are the 1.2TL's!!! :D
Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
Post edited by avguytx on

Comments

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited July 2007
    Options
    look out your filling the house with SDA's
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Congrats! and enjoy. I will someday have the SRS2's also :-)
    (I am going to make mine)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Another satisfied customer, enjoy.:cool:
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Options
    That's it, I'm coming over.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I figured out that the raspy noise is coming from one of the left channel tweeters so I swapped it out with one from the 1C's. Well, the raspiness is still there soI guess that could mean it's something in the crossover. It's mainly noticeable on quieter stuff so it's tolerable but I do hear it on louder music too. I figured out that it IS the tweeters on the left channel 1C that was making the highs lower on output as the 1C tweeter barely had any output when put in the SRS2. Sheesh. Now I HAVE to get new tweeters! Well, I'll get 4 for one pair for now but not the other. I can always swap them around if I want to rotate them.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    That's it, I'm coming over.

Russ, what part of north Texas are you in again? I'd be embarrassed for you to come over and see/hear my set up! :D It's nothing like a lot of you guys have. I just have a humble set up I guess you could say.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I thought you were in Allen, I'm in McKinney.

Embarrassed? What the hell about? No reason to be embarrassed about good sound my friend. If I'm anything, I'm humble.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I'm not real far from you...I'm in Krum which is about 2 miles west of Denton. I wish I could have these SDA's set up in a bigger room to really enjoy the wider soundstage but I limit myself to my office. I guess you'd have to see how the living room is laid out to see what I mean. It's an odd shaped room but it is 23 X 20. Wait, I have a picture that shows part of it. This is a view looking into the living room from the kitchen. Try to overlook the "cow" things sitting there. They weren't picked up yet from my "ex-fiance". :D
    014.JPG 489.7K
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Congrats on your new babies...the SRS 2's are probably the best buy of the SDA line...in todays market.

But,I don't know how you sleep at night,as you literally stole these:D
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Sal...you are way to kind! Before we do that, let me see what it's going to take to get this paint (or stain) off of the tops and bottoms. It might be something basic...it might not be. But do know that your offer is most appreciated!

I see RD0's and new crossovers (again) in my future. This raspy noise will drive me nuts. I'm way too OCD. :D
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Are they upgraded crossovers or the stock ones? I was looking at the Compendium and there are a couple of BIG caps on the dimensional section of the crossover. One that I can make out on the page is a 130uf cap along with what looks to be either a 55 or 65uf cap. Is it me or are both pins on the IC cable used for these speakers? Or is that the way all of them are? I could've sworn there was only a single black lead going from the connecting pin to the crossover on my 1C's. I'll have to dig a little further into the network and see what it is.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yep. This raspiness on the left speaker is going to drive me nuts. Has anyone ever experienced this with their SDA's when they got them? Any idea what it was? Tweeters? Crossovers? I'm listening to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" and on the intro for "Money for Nothing", it stands out like a **** in a punchbowl. Even during the song I can hear it there. Sheesh.

What do you guys think??? :confused: I'm going to swap the left channel tweeters with the right side and see what happens. I'll post my findings.

Update. It's the tweeters as now it's in the right channel.
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yep...they look just like those.
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Ask for new poly switches when you order the RDO's
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Good idea ben. Could be the one in the left channel wasn't/isn't doing it's job. The tweeters will have to wait till about mid August as I have a lot of stuff going on at my house. Carpet has to be shampooed, painting 2 bedrooms (just got them primed), need a full size bedroom set for one to make it a true guest bedroom, going to see Dream Theater in Austin on the 4th and then I have company coming in the following weekend. Plus, the CEDIA convention is coming up in Denver the first week of September. Sheesh. Gonna be a busy upcoming month.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    edited July 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Ask for new poly switches when you order the RDO's

Good suggestion Ben.Actually,anyone with those older Polk big boys should get new Poly switches installed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I do like the idea of not having a poly switch in the signal path, but if there is an amp failure, or some idiot cranks your system do you really want to buy a bunch of new tweeters? That being said I have no tweeter protection on my main speakers yet!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »

I'm putting these 1.2tl's in my will.

Sal

Have I told you how much I love you. How I adore your post hear on Club Polk. How I value SDA's as a treasure. That I would treat them as a princess if they were left to me. That I am throwing up in my mouth as I type this:eek: :p:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Ben, you're starting to scare me...lol.
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Options
    My therapist says I am doing much better now. Just a little adjustment of the meds...
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    That other set of SDA SRS2's that were re-listed on Ebay sold with a BIN price of $600. I don't feel bad paying $200 for mine as it will now leave more money to spend on them for upgrades. :D Especially tweeters....
  • avguytx
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I don't know if I'll go high dollar on the caps and resistors. I'll most likely stay with the Solen caps and Mills resistors like in the 1C's as they worked out very well. These have some large value caps in them....130uf and what appears (from the Compendium) to be either a 55 or 65uf cap. I can get the 130's but will have to parallel a couple for the other.

Or, I'll use a Solen cap and bypass it with a Sonicap or something for the tweeters. Not sure yet.
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Yes, I'm bringing an older post but I wanted recommendations as to what to do on these larger caps.

The SRS2's have a 55uf cap and the closest Solen is a 56uf. Shouldn't that be ok since it's well within a 5% tolerance level? IIRC, I did this on my 1C's too.

Same thing on needing a 34uf cap on the crossovers. 33 is the closest Solen. Ok here too?

There is a 130uf cap in these which typically runs around $35 (+/-) which isn't awful. I'm assuming for space and sonic reasons it would be better to use the exact value than running something of a lesser grade/value with a better grade Poly cap along with it, correct?