Large-screen TVs recalled as fire hazards

SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited January 2003 in Electronics
Last Updated Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:22:23
WASHINGTON - Large-screen television sets considered a fire hazard are being recalled, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Thursday.

Big-screen Zenith analog TV sets smoke, char
Some 80,000 televisions marketed by Zenith Electronics Corp. of Lincolnshire, Ill. are being recalled after reports of TV sets smoking and charring. There have been no injuries, but there have been four cases of minor property damage.

Zenith Electronics has received 45 reports since 1998 of coolant leaks and fire hazards.

The analog projection televisions were manufactured in Mexico from April 1995 to July 1997, and from August 1998 to November 1998. The size of the screens range from 46 inches to 60 inches.

The retail cost of the televisions ranged from $1,200 to $2,800 US.

Consumers can contact Zenith at 1-800-777-5195 for a free inspection and repair.

Written by CBC News Online staff
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Glad I went Mits.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Mine are all RCA's.:D
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Ron-P and Scottvamp,
    What would you two recommend for a bigscreen in the 1300-1500 dollar range. I know the major players and I have seen them all. Just looking for a little feedback on what people like.
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by nellis8166
    Ron-P and Scottvamp,
    What would you two recommend for a bigscreen in the 1300-1500 dollar range. I know the major players and I have seen them all. Just looking for a little feedback on what people like.
    Regards,
    Nat
    If it is mostly for HomeTheater/DVD i would look for a wide screen and HD for progressive scan. If not that will open it up quite a bit.
    Lot of quality models for that price especially if you look at discounted "last year models". For the money wait for a sale. My biggest advice is to not get a Sony (IMO) you will pay way to much and probably won't find anything at your price range.
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Scottvamp,
    I have noticed that Sony's are much more expensive than most of the others. Are they really that good???
    Are there any brands that you would stay away from?? I have a 32 Panasonic now and it has been very good to me, but not sure if their big screens are very good. There is one local audio/video place that is blowing out 52' JVCs. I have never been a fan of JVC stuff, at least audio. Suggestions???
    Appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Sony's really that good (IMO) no but for the people that spend $2000 on a 36" tv. You're best move is denial. :D
    There is no "right" answer. JVC (IMO) vcr's only but I know thier tv's seem to be of good quality.
    Anyway believe me you will enjoy the larger screen.