Sibling Rivalry

jltrdavis
jltrdavis Posts: 78
edited January 2003 in Speakers
For the last 10 years or so my older brother and I sort of have sibling rivalry with our audio / home theater systems. He's got a 20 year head start on me so he had the best of me in my youth, but with my current setup I thought I'd have him beat (LSi15, LSiC, LsiFX, RSP1066, RMB1095, Sunfire Sub). I just found out that he ordered an new set of speakers (He didn't even give me a month to enjoy my superior system). They are Cambridge SoundWorks Newton T500 Series.

Anyone ever audition these? How are they going to compare to my 15's? The LSi25s are probably a closer match but I think I have an advantage with the non-powered tower / sub combination. Also, I think he's going with either the Pioneer Elite 49, or Marantz 9200 so I'll have an edge their also. (He doesn't know I have the Rotel stuff yet and I'm trying to keep it secret until he buys his new receiver)

Anyone else have a rivalry with a sibling, friend, etc?

-Jason
Post edited by jltrdavis on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited January 2003
    Both systems should sound different, but equally good. The tweeters is where you might edge him out. You may have a draw this time, but there's always next time.:D You have a dam fine system, be proud of it. As long as you like your system that's all that counts anyway.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Not when it comes to sibling rivalry Rausch............:)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    You may have come out on top this time. They were reviewed in the Jan. 2003 issue of Stereophile Guide to HT were not highly thought of.

Here is a Thread over at HTF. Newton T500
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Good, I'm glad to see someone trash them. That gives me more offense :D. If this was like football, I just scored a touchdown!:lol:

-Jason
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    I tried out several systems and I did not like the Cambridge systems for the larger, more expensive stuff. They make pretty decent cheap stuff, I have a PC speaker system made by CSW and it was a good buy @$39.99 I may put one of their sub/sat systems in my office. Good luck with your "arms race".
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited January 2003
    i have a rivalry too.........with my dad and until recently he had me beat.....all of his speakers are 15 years old atleast and they still soudn pretty damn good but after i bought rti100s there was no competetion, his sub cant even handle the powere from my reciever and lacks the new connections like fiber optic and surround speakers, so basically hes screwed
    haahaahaa i win