Foam or Polyfil?

Options
viper_crazy
viper_crazy Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum, and relatively new to mobile/car audio. I did a search in the archives on what to use in my custom sub box: foam or polyfil.

The two that were of most help and interest to me were these ones:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32824
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36687

They answered a lot of my questions to be honest. It seems like polyfil is the best way to go? How do I calculate how much I need and which wall do I put it on inside the box?

If anyone needs, I can make up a bit of a picture to post and show where the driver is going to be located in relation to the port...and for any one to critique if I can change it to get better sound. I have all the sides up, glued and screwed together except the top of my custom enclosure and have stopped there for now.

Thanks for your help.
Amp:
Sony Xplod XM-2100GTX, 100x2@4ohm RMS (250w Bridged@4ohm), 600 Peak

Sub:
Rockford Fosgate RFZ3412, 12", 4ohm, 50-150 watt RMS, 400 Peak

Enclosure:
Cheap Wal-Mart one bought to test out the sub i got off ebay (Custom one in the works)
Post edited by viper_crazy on

Comments

• viper_crazy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    P.S.: I realize this is a home audio forum, but I thought I'd be able to get some answers, either way...
    Amp:

Sub:

Enclosure:
    Cheap Wal-Mart one bought to test out the sub i got off ebay (Custom one in the works)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I like poly fill. If you cab is too large you can use foam.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • viper_crazy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    So, do I just shove a bunch of Poly-fil into the box and let 'er fly? or is it best to adhere it to one of the walls of the box, if so, how do I determine the best wall to apply it to?
    Amp:

Sub:

Enclosure:
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Viper its a pound per cubic foot for poly fill ( and keep it 3 inches from any port or the rear of the speaker me personelly I use fiber glass because you can shape it and staple it to the walls
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables