Blown momo, maybee

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Ok, i mentioned in another thread that i blew one of my two mm120's two days ago, i pulled it out of the box this morning.

I wired it up to the amp outside of the box, with it turned down real low, and just touching the wire that goes from the negative post to the sub cone caused it to come back on, so i turned it off, moved it arround a little, and without even touching it the sub now playes at low levels, i have not tried putting it in the box or running more power to it.

What i'm thinking is this seems like the sub probably was pushed too hard, and the connection between the post and the wire is loose, although from looking at it i cant see how. Could this possibly be re-soldered and made to work? Or is it more likely the loose part is on the other side, going into the cone which cant be fixed?

If it is possible to fix by re-soldering, is there a special kind of solder I should use, due to the ammount of electricity going through the connection? Or is there possibly some other way to fix it? I tried contacting the local car-audio shops, but all of them said they dont fix subs, but they'd be glad to help me find some new subs . . .

If it can't be fixed thats fine, my punishment i guess for pushing the subs too hard.

Erik
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2003
    Sorry, I wrote a big long reply to another post. Wasn't paying attention.

To fix you speaker, check your warranty card. If you are still good, end it back to the manufacturer.

If you want to fix it yourself, you can resolder it to the voice coil but, it won't be easy to do without burning the coil or what the coil is wrapped around. If you want to re-solder it to the cone, that will defintly be difficult to do with burning the cone.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2003
    Speaker is from ebay orrigionoly(bumpertobumper7), almost 2 years ago though, so i highly doubt there is any warenty, and even still i think the problem is the box developed a small air leak that i didn't know about untill i actually looked at why the sub went. I only lost one sub, and it's part of the box had a leak.

As for the sub, I don't think its the side of the voice coil where the problem is(is that more likely though?). It seemed to me the loose connection was the post where the wire from the inside of the box connects to the sub(but the loose part is the smaller wire that goes from the post to the voice coil).

Thanks for any help
    Erik
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2003
    Well, you can try to resolder it if you want to. Just be extremely careful. If you heat those little copper wires up too much, they will go like a fuse.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!