video convergence test

Options
ronaldo141
ronaldo141 Posts: 41
edited January 2003 in Electronics
I own a 47 inch panasonic projection widescreen HDTV. Lately the picture has just not been as crisp as I think it can be, particularly with DSS, where the picture blurs and I notice pixelation from 6 or 7 feet away from the screen. I tried adjusting the various brightness, contrast and picture settings but have yet to find a good picture. Now i'm wondering if i need to do my convergence test again. I am somewhat hesitant to do so for fear of messing up the picture. When i hit the adjust ment button the convergence crosshairs don't really move and i don't want to adjust it to far and ruin the image.
So here are my questions: How can i tell if the problem is convergence related? will S-video give me a great improvement over composite (not component) for the satelite-tv connection? Are the Avia calibration discs really worth it? Thanks for your help.
Post edited by ronaldo141 on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    How can i tell if the problem is convergence related?
    When you pull up your convergence grid, does everything look aligned? How do DVDs look?
    will S-video give me a great improvement over composite (not component) for the satelite-tv connection?
    S-Vid will be an improvement. Not a night and day improvement, but, you are using the worst (composite) connection possible.
    Are the Avia calibration discs really worth it?
    Yes! If you really want your TV to look its best, get it ISF calibrated.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    how much does isf calibration cost?
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Does the AVIA disk calibrate tube televisions as well or just projo's?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Is it to the point where everyone else agrees it's a bad picture ? If it is then have it serviced and if you're lucky- under warranty

Originally posted by ronaldo141
    .... particularly with DSS, where the picture blurs and I notice pixelation from 6 or 7 feet away from the screen

You actually may be seeing your satellite provider upgrading with more services or channels at the expense of picture quality. They squeeze so many channels on a digital bandwidth to the point that the picture becomes grainy or during fast movements- "a digital blur" will occur. Try dvd or a regular cable signal on the same connection and if it looks fine then it's your satellite system.

A s-video might help but most cases I've seen them perform worse. The cable works too good and ends up showing how poor your signal feed is! Composite cables are good but the co-axial cable (thread type) is the worse !!!!

Isf calibration can be expensive and results will vary depending how bad your set is to begin with. Most sets should be fine for the average person. Isf calibration is not for everyone but worthwhile for the true videophile.

Hope this helps! :)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • swillis55
    swillis55 Posts: 18
    edited January 2003
    Options
    AVIA discs can be used to help adjust settings on both direct view and RPTVs. To most, it is a worthwhile investment. Also, you being a panny owner, you might want to visit www.panny.tv . They have a great forum of just panny owners.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    With your TV, AVIA is a must.

ISF, I cannot recommend enough. The calibration will run you roughly 4-500 depending on what inputs you have done.

Did my Mits 46" back in February. Even after countless hours with AVIA and many self-tweaks in the service menu, the results, worth every penny. I'm on schedule for an ISF touch up in April for $225.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i saw an avia disc at the local blockbuster, but someone always seems to get it before me
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If you're pixelating that's a signal problem. Check all the connections, check dish alignment. Monster makes a nice little signal meter that comes in handy. Could also be weather related (heavy rain/snow). If all checks OK, call your provider. Even tons of compression shouldn't cause what you're experiencing.

Wally
  • ronaldo141
    edited January 2003
    Options
    thanks wlrandall, but i redid the convergence test and finally got it to work. The picture looked better on DVD and I have yet to test it on DSS, but i'm confident that the picture will be better. It turns out 4 of th 9 convergence crosshairs were aligned completely so i fixed them and also some in another test. Snow in texas? :) at least i know thats not the problem...