Biwiring CS400

dbournival
dbournival Posts: 131
For those that have biwiried Cs400's what gauge of wire do you use? I have mine regularly wired with 12AWG wire now, I was thinking of Biwiring it with 14 to the woofers and 16 to the tweeter. Any suggestions?
Post edited by dbournival on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    14/14 for me.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Bi-amped with 12/14 here.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Bi-amped with equal lengths, ;), of 12/12

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    Thanks, I cannot Bi-amp, only biwire. 12/12 or 12/14 won't fit the binding posts on my Onkyo, I'll try 14/14 or 14/16....
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by dbournival
    Thanks, I cannot Bi-amp, only biwire. 12/12 or 12/14 won't fit the binding posts on my Onkyo, I'll try 14/14 or 14/16....

Don't let the Onkyo Binding Posts stop you from using the gauge of wire that you want. For a small price, you can pick up an adapter at your nearest electronic store...(dare i say Radio Shack in this forum) that will let you piggy back two banana plugs into one banana jack.

Check out the following links for products:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=274%2D716

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=274%2D734

Hope this helps!
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for the idea. How do you like the 404? I have Rt1000i's with the subs built in. They are great but are a little weak for music compared to my other system. They are fine for HT, this is the opposite of what I expected. If I did not have my other system I would be happy but when I listen to music back to back my other system sounds somewhat better. I was thinking of adding a 404 to my system 1.
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    oops, I mean system 2.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    The 404 isn't too shabby. Musically it's tight enough for my tastes, however, it falls into the category of a 30-35Hz sub. Don't expect to get anything lower than that out of it. Some people have noticed a slight "hum" to the unit. Per Polk's C.S., it's OK. There is another thread on this discussion. The hum stems from the noise generated by the transformer that powers the 200W RMS amp. It doesn't bother me and it's in a bedroom environment. Some other folks have "bottomed" their 404 as well. I think that's just a result of cranking it just a little bit too high. For me, it's a perfect compliment to my 6700's.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    My BA sub also has a hum (I think) if I put my ear to it I can hear I slight hum. I could just be noise telegraphing from somewhere else in the house (refrig, boiler, etc) . Thanks, I think I'll get one (a 404) this weekend.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Hi TonyPTX,

I have the same receiver as you. I bi-wired my front speakers but only by bare-wire twisting and tightening into the binding posts on the receiver. I think this type of connection is secure enough on the speakers themselves (inserted straight through the hole and tightened), but at the receiver it isn't so secure.

What type of banana plugs could I use to make a more secure connection at the receiver? These plugs are secured onto the twisted wire and then inserted directly into the binding posts, correct?

Thanks!
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    I biwired the 400 last eveining with 14/16 gauge, It does sound a little better (I think). It sounded pretty good before so it is hard to tell... It could also be because the 12 gauge that it was wired with before was commercial grade in-wall speaker wire.

I also ordered a 404, It should be here middle of next week...
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    I use the above monster dual banana plugs when I bi-wired my fronts. i really like the ease of use, plus they just look cool.

Only problem for me trying to use these dual monster bananas, is they do not fit the binding posts on the rear of Marantz receivers. UGH! the Marantz binding posts are spaced off just a little bit from all the rest of the other receivers. :supermad:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: