Crossovers

Options
wodom1
wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited November 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
i've got the DX 3065 component system with its own amp and was wondering if i install an electronic crossover before the amp, is there any need to keep the supplied passive crossovers for any reason but to split the signal between the woofers and tweeters? also, my passive crossovers are mounted 3-4" above the amp and i'm having some noise problems. could the proximity between the amp and crossovers have anything to do with this noise? the noise is a hissing sound that stops if i pause the CD or turn it off, and when the CD is switching tracks? i've got a speaker-RCA converter for the DX 3065 under my dash about a foot from the receiver. i've got another one right behind the receiver for my rear speakers (EX 572a) and have never noticed any noise coming out of them. i've also got a little engine noise. any help would be greatly appreciated.
-josh
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• wodom1
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • wodom1
    edited November 2001
    Options
    a friend gave me a 4-way crossover that i'd like to install. he bought a new one and just gave me the old one. it's a LA Sound 4 way. there are no instructions and i'm kinda clueless on how to hook it up. my friend is out of town for a couple of weeks, so i'm hoping some of you out there can help me out. it is a 4-way crossover, but there are 5 sets of outputs labeled "rear fill," "LP," "BP," "BP," and "HP," and 1 out for a mono sub. there are also level controls for all of the above plus another one for "HP" and a bass EQ which consists of a freq. level and gain (dB). in addition to the level controls, there are also 6 switches for: LP--80, 120, 160; BP--80, 120, 160; BP--400, 600, 800;
    BP--400, 600, 800; BP 2.5k, 4.0k, 6.0k; and HP--2.5k, 4.0k, 5.0k. can anyone help me out with hooking this thing up? my system consists of DX3065 6.5" components, EX572a 5x7's, and a 10" Infinity Kappa sub. the sub and the 5x7's are running off of a 4-channel amp and the 3065's from a 2-channel amp. front and back speakers both have speaker level to RCA converters off of the deck, and the sub input comes straight off of the deck via RCA. sorry for the long post, but any help would be GREATY appreciated! Thanks,
    Josh

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • wodom1
    edited November 2001
    Options
    here is a pic of the crossover:

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP