onkyo receiver lost surround channels, whats up? Please help

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited January 2003 in Electronics
Ok i had a Onkyo tx-sv727 for about 6-7 years and about a year ago sold it to my wifes brother, well basically gave it to him, anyway.... he lived with a roomate and so never hooked it up, (basically bought because of the steal he got) for when he got his own house. Ok so now we are a year later almost, its been sitting in his room and now has a place of his own and i went saturday to hook it up for him,

The receiver worked great when i gave it to him, unhooked it and replaced it with my Integra receiver,

Of course now the center and rear surrounds won't come on, not even with the test tone, also when you screw down the wires on the back with the binding post the fronts "That work" try to cut out or make static noise alittle... I feel like a heal and that it seems i sold a piece of junk, although it worked great when i sold it.. He said don't worry about it.

Ok what can this be "the short version please"
Could i get some rat shack tuner cleaner and compressed air and try that on the terminals inside where the binding post are attached??

I really want to know if this could be from sitting unpowered for a year?? the case had alot of dust on it and the remote was sitting on it and was covered with dust also.. So i can say dust could be a problem maybe???? Let me know so i can help him out
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    bump, need suggestions please
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'd suggest cleaning it out... I've found that the electronics cleaner found at RatShack works quite well, it got rid of all the nasty static and stuff that my Pioneer would give out whenever you even got near a knob :-). Try that and see...

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • faster100
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks, that what i thought to try.. will have to try as it would be a shame to waste that receiver, the think cost 700.00 new and had everything at the time that you needed
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Make sure you clean it as good as possible with compressed air first, though.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!