Target goes blu...

cheddar
cheddar Posts: 2,390
edited October 2007 in Electronics
Target has decided it will feature blu-ray dedicated players this holiday season:

http://www.examiner.com/a-846455~AP_EXCLUSIVE__Target_will_feature_Blu_ray_player__discs_in_store_displays.html

Another shoe drops after the blockbuster announcement. I wonder if this will turn into a trend as we approach the holidays. Toshiba has dropped the a2 price down to 'cheap chinese player' territory. Seems like there's no better time to get an hd-dvd player. But it doesn't seem to be influencing companies like blockbuster and target. Can't wait to see how things stack up this Christmas. Although the war has been great for hardware prices, I think mass adoption of one format might be better for the availability of movies.
Post edited by cheddar on

Comments

• auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited July 2007
    From what I read in an article about the VHS versus Beta wars...The adult industry was the deciding factor...And will probably decide the outcome as well.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2007
    auto_pilot wrote: »
    From what I read in an article about the VHS versus Beta wars...The adult industry was the deciding factor...And will probably decide the outcome as well.

I've read that the **** industry favors HD-DVD instead of Blu-ray.
  • auto_pilot
    edited July 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    I've read that the **** industry favors HD-DVD instead of Blu-ray.

I just read that too from a British AVR magazine the other day...Something about how blu-ray doesn't want that type of "entertainment" on their format...

Funny thing is, is that my sister works for Sony Playstation...and she said that the **** industry is switching to blu-ray...so I'm not sure if my sister has the right info.
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2007
    auto_pilot wrote: »
    Something about how blu-ray doesn't want that type of "entertainment" on their format...

Funny thing is, is that my sister works for Sony Playstation...and she said that the **** industry is switching to blu-ray...so I'm not sure if my sister has the right info.

We want our Blu-movies!!
  • auto_pilot
    edited July 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    We want our Blu-movies!!

Ha ha...in all entertainment formats...no doubt.

Now if I can only get my sister to get me a deeply discounted PS3:(
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2007
    I was tempted to buy that Toshiba HD-A2,but i think I'll wait and see how things pan out. I've got a 12 year old Sony 53" that wont die so it really wont matter a ton to me until it goes anyway. Working on getting the audio end set up first.
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited July 2007
    Target featuring Blu Ray, huh? The HT Guys in their podcast think that its WalMart that will be the deciding factor in the format wars.

They also think the drop in HD DVD price might be indication of "panic". It could simply be unloading of older technology since it is only 1080i, however.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2007
    I would be surprised if they don't wind up with a stand-alone HD DVD player with the prices where they are at. They continue to sell the 360 HD DVD add-on as well.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    fireshoes wrote: »
    I would be surprised if they don't wind up with a stand-alone HD DVD player with the prices where they are at. They continue to sell the 360 HD DVD add-on as well.

too true, too true. anyway, let's just see how expensive bluray players are going to be at that time. average joe shops at target and walmart, but they don't drive there to plop $500+ on a bluray player, that is, unless it's a playstation 3. and like hotshoes (fireshoes) said, i'm sure that target will offer more hd dvd players as well. didn't sony pay for that 'endcap'? maybe toshiba ought to pony up some profits and/or spend as investment for the same...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2007
    **** will have zero effect on this war. Back in the VHS days the internet did not exist.

What will decide the winner, studio support. It's all about the movies. Player prices will continue to fall and Blu playerd will be just as cheap as the HD-DVD players soon enough.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited July 2007
    Excellent point.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited July 2007
    Ron-P beat me to it. Times are different. Back then there wasn't the **** "options" that there are today.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • BIZILL
    edited July 2007
    yeah, the whole **** argument holds no merit. it was fun when hd dvd **** first came out, but it's been here awhile and @ $40+ a pop, they will not sell to the masses.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    yeah, the whole **** argument holds no merit. it was fun when hd dvd **** first came out, but it's been here awhile and @ $40+ a pop, they will not sell to the masses.

Wow, how can they know how many times you pop? I think the new HD technology is better than I thought... :D
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited July 2007
    with disney going blu-ray I'm leaning towards that format to make it.
    i will wait before i jump.
    but i have been playing with a blu ray player on a 1080p projector at a house and it is making it hard not to buckle and buy a player
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Disney, Fox, and Sony have always been blu-ray exclusive studios. It's Warner and Paramount that switched to format neutral when blu-ray players were released. I think Disney and Fox like the extra layers of copy protection available on blu-ray. Might also be why Spielberg appears to be blocking universal from releasing his titles and has come out with his first HD movie on blu-ray.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Sony/Disc_Announcements/Spielberg_to_Hit_High-Def_With_Close_Encounters_Blu-ray/812
  • BIZILL
    edited July 2007
    this war is still being set. manufacturers, retailers, studio's and consumers are starting to really pick sides. i think both formats thought they were going to deliver that huge striking blow (K.O.) to the other, but all attempts have been nothing more than a slap on the wrist. even with the most recent blows such as blockbuster and now target will be met by even more lowered pricing on hd dvd units. my fear is that neither will win. at least not for a great while. which forces you and me to become format neutral and have to purchase separate hardwares and softwares. BUT, it is helping drive down the costs to own either format. i may eventually buckle and hook up with some bluray action. but for now, my money is backing hd dvd.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Cheddar,

Get off the high-horse. Read.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55531

What are you talking about? I'm contributing to a thread I started a day before the thread Steve started above. Nothing I've said is untrue or a long post. There are a lot longer posts defending hd-dvd above. I think they've got every right to their opinion. Why so sensitive on the subject? It's just information. Let people decide what they want to do with it on their own.
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    cheddar wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I'm contributing to a thread I started a day before the thread Steve started above. Nothing I've said is untrue or a long post. There are a lot longer posts defending hd-dvd above. I think they've got every right to their opinion. Why so sensitive on the subject?

I'm just tired of people posting crap claiming that HD DVD is dead in the water, and Target is BD exclusive? Why for all the spread of mis-information? People really need to stop listening to Sony, and look at reality.

Sorry Cheddar, didn't mean anything in a bad way, just tired of all the fanboy crap.

Why can't people just enjoy both or HD in general, and stop trying to justify/ feel better about their purchase?

BTW, I own both formats and enjoy both of them.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    No Problem, Target does sell both software formats in store. And online they sell the toshiba players. Which makes it all the more curious why they would choose to sell and feature sony's blu-ray player in their B&M stores this holiday season. It does show some definite momentum especially taken in the context of other events, but I never said Target was Blu-ray only...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    I'm just tired of people posting crap claiming that HD DVD is dead in the water, and Target is BD exclusive? Why for all the spread of mis-information? People really need to stop listening to Sony, and look at reality.

Sorry Cheddar, didn't mean anything in a bad way, just tired of all the fanboy crap.

Why can't people just enjoy both or HD in general, and stop trying to justify/ feel better about their purchase?

BTW, I own both formats and enjoy both of them.

HD-DVD is dead

Sony vs Toshiba is all that one needs to say.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    I'm just tired of people posting crap claiming that HD DVD is dead in the water
    No offense Mike but i am REALLY sick and tired of many people on this forum for the last 9 months saying Blu-Ray was obsolete and had no chance in hell before it even came out and therefore after. Now that "they" and their "followers" see the tide changing, now they can be "grrrrrrrrrrrr" angry. That's Bull$hit!

My squirrelly RANT......
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    HD-DVD is dead

Sony vs Toshiba is all that one needs to say.

Please explain this nonsense.

scottvamp wrote: »
    No offense Mike but i am REALLY sick and tired of many people on this forum for the last 9 months saying Blu-Ray was obsolete and had no chance in hell before it even came out and therefore after. Now that "they" and their "followers" see the tide changing, now they can be "grrrrrrrrrrrr" angry. That's Bull$hit!

My squirrelly RANT......

:cool: Who has been going around saying that BR is dead? I keep hearing about how HD DVD is dead, I guess I've been missing those posts. I understand where you are comming from, all these claims are quit ridiculous.

I just don't understand how people have feelings for a format??:confused: It's a damn HD player for pete's sake, not your family!
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited July 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    **** will have zero effect on this war. Back in the VHS days the internet did not exist.

What will decide the winner, studio support. It's all about the movies. Player prices will continue to fall and Blu playerd will be just as cheap as the HD-DVD players soon enough.

To quote dorokusai, excellent point.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Maybe you did no catch the beginning of the format war on this forum. But the majority of the forum said that Blu-Ray was the "BetaMax" and would never leave the ground. I have listed their reasons on other post. I even did research on betamax history to see what they saw.
    Same thing happened with the PS3, it was suppose to be a $600 paperweight and never break a million units. When just a year or two before many people were buying the Denon 2900 for the same price or more.:rolleyes:
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Maybe you did no catch the beginning of the format war on this forum. But the majority of the forum said that Blu-Ray was the "BetaMax" and would never leave the ground. I have listed their reasons on other post. I even did research on betamax history to see what they saw.
    Same thing happened with the PS3, it was suppose to be a $600 paperweight and never break a million units. When just a year or two before many people were buying the Denon 2900 for the same price or more.:rolleyes:

I forgot, I remember now.:o Thanks for enlightening me!
  • BIZILL
    edited July 2007
    cheddar wrote: »
    Which makes it all the more curious why they would choose to sell and feature sony's blu-ray player in their B&M stores this holiday season.

all that i've read points to the fact that sony paid for that 'end cap'.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Please explain this nonsense.

Use Google
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing