Remembering when CD's first hit the market......

Options
2»

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I was living in Ireland in '83 when I saw my first CD and CDP. A Phillips unit who, if I'm not mistaken worked with Sony do develop the recording and playback of CDs. I was stunned, no hiss, no rumble!! Who needs vinyl and cassette anymore!! I bought my fist cdp when I moved to NC in '85 and went banannas with this new technology. One of my first purchases was the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms. A brilliant recording which I still listen to to this day.
    Maybe a point of clarification, the first cds were packaged in a cardboard long box and about the late '80's early '90's were set in a plastic long box that the cashier had to remove at the counter when purchased. Two versions of the same setup.
    Fire up the Wayback Machine!
    You more seasoned Polk Folks know what I mean.
    Polkin' in NC.
    Lightman
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Speaking of CDs, the first CDROM I had was a stand-alone unit that I bought for my Apple computer. It had the cartridge that you put the CD into and then loaded that in the reader. I no longer had to install Oregon Trail on 6 floppy disks, I could use just one CDROM. It was good times to say the least.

(This was the computer that I also "upgraded" to 32 megs of memory)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    Options
    In 1986 I started buying cd's without having a cd player. First was a Zappa for $16.99, that was Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation. There were other double cd's from his catalog that were priced as singles as well. I have a couple Captain Beefhearts that were also two albums on one disc, like The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot. The record companies broke the code on that **** pretty fast, and those babies disappeared. I finally bought an ADC 16/1 machine from Crazy Eddie in Cherry Hill. I met an "enterprising" young man at that location. This resulted in the purchase of literally hundreds of cd's, for about $20 per 100. All cd's that I hand picked.

That ADC 16/1 always sounded pretty good to me, despite the analog brick-wall filtering. I also have a Sanyo vertical, front-loader that was from the first generation. Picked it up at a rummage sale at our local synagogue last year or the year before. There isn't a scratch on it and it still works flawlessly (at least it did when I wrapped her up and put it into storage). It retailed for a cool grand when new. I would not want to drop that machine on my foot, it's built like a Tiger tank. And that's a fact Jack.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    Options
    As an aside, the first cd I ever heard was John Fogerty's "Centerfield" being played on a friends rig. The rig was a pair of Klipsch "Heresy" driven by a Yamaha integrated. It piqued my interest a bit, to where I wanted to hear this new technology on a real pair of speakers. Original cd's? Heresy? Ice-pick in the ears.
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited July 2007
    Options
    First CD, Crack the Sky Live, it was the only CD that Record and Tape Traders was carrying at the time, the year 1983 maybe? Looooooooong time ago, living in Balto (Catonsville) hun. Some of you Balto folks may remember Crack the Sky!
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I'm reminded of that scene in the Wedding Singer when Drew Barrymore's fiance presents her with a brand, new 1984 CD player. She immediately asks him if you can play records on it....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2007
    Options
  • Danny Tse
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Just purchased....

Abba: The Visitors (1981)
    West German Polydor 800 011-2

The first pop CD ever produced!!
  • Tred
    Tred Posts: 9
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I recall that I had no shortage of rich friends who had upgraded CD players every year or two at that time, and those who lined up to buy new releases. Quite a few had only bought DDD CDs, and viewed AAD and ADD as junks. Little they knew that marketing was in full swing when the small prints on the back of AAD and ADD jewel boxes warned that digitized analog sources revealed so-called "analog artifacts" due to CD's high resolution.
  • Danny Tse
    edited October 2007
    Options
    This past Monday, October 1st, marked the 25th anniversary of CD's availability to the general consumer. On October 1, 1982, CBS/Sony of Japan released the first 50 CD titles (see link above). Here are some in my collection that you may recognize....

NewNikonpics005.jpg
    NewNikonpics004.jpg
    NewNikonpics003.jpg
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2007
    Options
    And in other news, Sony BMG wins $220,000 from a single mom for file sharing, in which they didn't show that she had a file sharing program on her computer or that she was the one that used it.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,390
    Options
    This thread deserves a blast from the past bump.

Like, more toward an almost 2 decade old "bump". B)

I just reread this thread and it was good to "speak" with members that are no longer here, and in some cases, no longer with us on this big, blue marble.

I still remember what CD's sounded like when they first came out. I was NOT impressed. I liked some aspects but the pros -vs- cons? I preferred vinyl.

So, now that all this time has gone by. (Close to a half a Century later)....

To the new folks here at CP. Do you remember your first CD?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    Still can’t remember the long box thing.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
    I do remember the reviews of the AAD, ADD & DDD in the mags.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,121
    Options
    My first, and still the best digital version….rcrj4duakj89.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I was just a kid (probably 5 or 6 years old) when my mom got her first CDP, and I did not like the sound compared to vinyl. The brightness/harshness/glare is what I remember the most, and thinking, “I wish she would turn this off.”

We did not have a good stereo, which didn’t help things. I think it was a GPX rack system with same brand floor speakers. Dreadful system all around. 😂
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    Options
    I still have a boxed one George Grand (RIP) gave me at one of the Polk Fests.

qxkpvgjgjb6w.jpg
    jihqxkpyzv8n.jpg
    tgfh3grqaese.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *