Corpse Bride

Options
Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited July 2007 in Music & Movies
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/corpse_bride/large.html

Tim Burtons new film. Looks like stop-motion like Nightmare but it's hard to tell. Could it be all CGI work?

Tim is the man. This year we get Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and now Corpse Bride. That's twice I'll be making the treking to the theater this year, so far.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2005
    Options
    looks good. Probably wait for TV.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Tim's been working on this for a few years now...I'm sure it'll be stopmotion like TNBC...

I'm glad this one is finally getting released...
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2005
    Options
    New trailer

Corpse Bride
    If...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Sweet!! Man that's gonna be good...

Well it's definitely stopmotion, looks like alot of CGI also...noticed the use of the TNBC music in the trailer...
  • Ron-P
    edited September 2005
    Options
    My daughter and I saw this today and we both loved it. By far the best film I've seen all year. Burton (as usual) did a wonderful job. It's hard to compare this to Nightmare as it is a very different film but it's the best way to describe it.

The story is heavier then Burtons previous Nightmare before Christmas as it deals with death, murder and suicide, the entire film has a much darker tone to it as well. The songs are more in the style of Oingo Boingo (just like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) which I found enjoyable. What I found odd was Burtons look he gave to the film. The mortal world is dark, gray and depressing where as the world of the dead is much more colorful and fun.

It's easy to see that CGI has been added to enhance this film over Nightmare, which I am still hung up on. I really enjoyed how Nightmare was done and although this was done in the same way the CGI takes away from the three-dimensional look that Nightmare had.

The movie paces itself very well and will keep you guessing right to the end. By far one of Burton's best films to date. I'll be going back to the theater this weekend for a second show.
    If...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm dying to see this one. Thanks for the review Ron !
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited September 2005
    Options
    LUV (most) Burton flicks , and this one looks to be right up my alley , and even more so with a little darker story element . Cant wait for the dvd ! Gonna be a definite purchase and sit proudly next to my Nightmare Before Christmas SE .
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I loved this movie as well, though I do still prefer TNBC a little over this one. Everyone else I've talked to likes this one better, so I'm in the minority there...

All the CGI stuff in this one just threw me a bit. One of the things I always loved about TNBC was all the work and time (3 YEARS!) to do all the animation.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I saw this one on Sunday. I thought it was only okay. The plot was just too simple (yes, I realize its a kid's movie), the songs were mediocre, and it just didn't have that special magical feel that a great kids' movie has. It was beautiful, yes, but just a good movie. Not great. It was worth watching, but that will be the only time.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2005
    Options
    IMO this is NOT a kids movie. There was a guy behind us that brought all his kids in to see this movie and I was commenting before the movie that I didn't think this one was for the kiddies...

Tim Burton has a tough audience with this and TNBC, because neither is really a kids movie, yet neither is going to appeal to the majority of average adults...

As for the songs in this one, I do feel that it was lacking a bit of the 'magic' that we had in TNBC.
  • Ron-P
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Like Mr. Maniac, this is not a kids movie. Although my 8 year old loved it, it did frighten her and was a bit much. I should have seen it first but seeing the trailers she really wanted to see it.

I'd have to give this one a higher mark then Nightmare. The Corpse Bride was a much better character then Sally from Nightmare and really made this movie. Victor and Jack are about equal. I really love how dark this one was. This was a bit more serious where Nightmare was a bit more comedy.
    If...
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Mmmmmm,
    More animation and just in time for Halloween, looks like it will be worth it.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2006
    Options
  • Shizelbs
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Watching the BluRay version as I type. This is reference quality material. Great detail, amazing colors, this movie has it all. Oh yeah, great examples of what black levels should look like. I imagine this would be a good disc to evaluate displays with.

The audio is top notch as well. The way in which the surrounds are used, it comes off as a very immersive experience. The sound is not around and in front of you, you are IN the sound. Just awesome.

Good movie too.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Ya, the Blu-Ray on this one is absolutely incrediable. It is actually hard one to find. Locally anyway.........
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Watching the BluRay version as I type. This is reference quality material. Great detail, amazing colors, this movie has it all. Oh yeah, great examples of what black levels should look like. I imagine this would be a good disc to evaluate displays with.

The audio is top notch as well. The way in which the surrounds are used, it comes off as a very immersive experience. The sound is not around and in front of you, you are IN the sound. Just awesome.

Good movie too.

to put this to rest, at least for awhile, shelby, can you rent the hd dvd version anywhere locally? the blockbuster in my town has the hd dvd. i didn't even know it came out for bluray. any way you can do a side-by-side comparison of the two formats? they're probably so close you cannot even see a difference. just curious. i know the pq is right up there with king kong. but i haven't seen it and am not so sure i'd watch it more than once. but i do know it is considered reference quality.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Shizelbs
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Sorry, its already back in the mail. Would have been happy to. Maybe I'll just get both versions from Netflix sometime.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Options
    The HD version is terrific!
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.