Second Job?

Options
MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm contemplating taking a second job in the evenings and weekends...

I have posted my resume again online in the usual places, noting my intentions.

Anybody here work a second, non related job in an entirely different career field, to help generate cash? I was afraid that my boss wouldn't like it if I have a second job... but not sure if he even would have to know... does anyone else have this problem?

I don't want to stoop too low, but we have made it our goal to completely get rid of debt as soon as possible, and it only makes sense to get another job to help complete this process! (If ya notice a bunch of stuff going up in the FM... ask the wife hehehe ;)) It wouldn't be a permanent thing, probably for a year or two at the max...

I will see what happens... Pizza delivery driver ;) The problem I'm seeing, is that it will probably have to be retail with needing after 5pm... although there's nothing exactly wrong with that either...

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Don't go to work in the retail sector and have to work with J Q Public. It will be miserable. Work where you can earn some tips or some side jobs. Obviously don't do telemarketing.
    Carl

• Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Working a second job isn't so bad. I'm a web developer by trade so lately I've been working with a few clients on the side as more of a "second job". It's actually kind of interesting when you can do freelance work.

As for an actual second job working for someone else... well I've done retail and it's tolerable but definitely not preferable. Just don't over do it. At one point I was working in West Chester, PA (I live in Maryland.. long drive!), going to school fulltime in Baltimore City (Still a far drive for me in the OPPOSITE direction of work) and doing freelance work. I became so overworked that I would practically fall asleep at my desk and just had an overall feeling of being exhausted 24/7.

Thankfully I learned from my mistake.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I've had a P/T job for the last 10 years. :eek:

Totally non F/T job related. I work for Giants Stadium/Meadowlands as a security guard (event staff). Was great when I started because I got to see alot of stuff that I would normally not have been able to. Worked Jets, Giants, Nets, Devils (before they moved to Newark), Seton Hall, Metrostars/Red Bulls, various concerts and events such as WWE wrestling, Ringling Bros. Circus, Disney on Ice shows, etc. Schedule was not too intense (although I have to give up ALL of my Sundays during football season, 16 weeks in all). Other than football, you pretty much worked as much or as little as you wanted. Great for the 9-5 worker who needed some extra cash (started at approx. $8 - $9 per/hr. 10 years ago). Most weeknights were from 6PM to 11PM. Most nights it didn't even seem like work.

After 10 years it is starting to get old so this may be my last football season.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I'm an IT Professional fulltime. I put myself through school working as a DJ and when I went fulltime IT Geek back in Jan. 2004, I kept DJing 1 or 2nights a week.

Now, I work fulltime, DJ in a club on friday nights and do photography on the side. People at work know what I do and don't have an issue.

Find a PT job that gives perks. If you do retail, work at CC or Bestbuy so you get discounts on stuff. My brother wants to do PT at Lowes so he gets their perks.

John
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I've never had the "drive" or real need to work a second job, but a coworker friend of mine has a restaurant job. He works Tuesday and Friday nights and Saturdays, and makes some decent coin every week. We work as engineers, so his second job rarely interferes except during the rare times when we have to work late nights or weekends when projects are coming to a head.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I work IT full time and I'm a diesel mechanic part time. I also do websites for small businesses in the area looking to just get an online presence. Neither job is a conflict of interest, unless of course the the business I do diesel work for picks up a contract with my full-time employer. Then there might be an issue.

So far though, no problems. I'm on call for my full-time job so my part-time employer knows that if things are bad enough at the full time job, I gotta bolt on him for a little while. He's OK with it and as long as my work at my full-time job gets done, they don't care.

I'm going to have to agree with schwarcw. I did retail and the only way I will do retail again is if I go back to Pep Boys and work the parts counter. Retail sucks because every yahoo that gets ragged on at their job comes in to your store at the end of the day and for some reason thinks they can treat you like dirt 'cause you're just a lowly store clerk. No one gets paid enough to deal with that. Otherwise, retail is a breeze but the work is easy and it will likely not pay better than minimum wage.

I would find something where you don't really have to interact with people. It'll just add stress. I got lucky and the diesel shop I work at is managed by a friend of mine. So when I go there, it's more along the lines of getting paid to hang out with the guys than it is to do work. We still work and get the job done but it's a stress reliever to an extent. If I'm not doing that though, I'm driving to some race track somewhere with friends from the shop next door to go racing. I realize that not everybody is in to what I'm in to but I found work doing something I like to do. I can apply the disgusting amount of knowledge I have about automotive stuff and internal combustion engines and I can make pretty good money doing it.

The best thing to do IMO is to find a job that lets you do something you enjoy. Like maybe a sales guy at an electronics store. Or a clerk in a music store. Or, if you like cars, go find a shop that needs some shop help. I've filled in at my friend's shop when he's short-handed and backed-up on work and just spent the day doing oil changes and swapping out tires so he can concentrate on the bigger jobs. You could always drive a delivery vehicle of some sort. If pizza is not your thing, there are plenty of places looking for part-time drives for things like car-parts delivery. You could drive for a florist. Even most supermarkets have delivery services for the elderly and disabled, you can drive for that too. You could even do a bakery truck run. They usually operate early in the morning though. There are tons of part-time jobs out there that don't have you being a slave to the general public and getting paid menial wages to boot. Don't go grabbing a part-time job that doesn't pay enough to make it worth while.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    Options
    For two or three years I worked a full-time job as an engineer at GM and a part time job stocking soda for Pepsi. It was a great gig until they promoted me to part-time supervisor. Then, the headaches of supervision made the position more pain than gain. So, I quit.

What I should have done was quit GM and gone full time with Pepsi.
    Hindset is 20/20.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Definitely some good advice already posted ... I'll add my thoughts as well to hopefully help provide some more food for thought.

The first thing I would ask you is: What's your end goal? Is it to earn just enough money to pay off your current debt, and then stop working at the PT job? Or is it to generate more income overall and continue to stay out of debt after your current debt is paid off?

From your post it sounds like it is non-permanent thing (one or two years), but even that sounds like a real long time period to me... ;) For that amount of time, I would suggest that it might make more sense to try to focus on getting a promotion / pay increase at your current FT job. Maybe even looking for a new FT job at another company.

My rationale is that a long term improvement in your current FT position will be more valuable, overall, than just working a 2nd PT job. If you do take on more responsibility at your current FT job, take some training classes to improve your skill set, etc. and are able to make yourself a more valuable employee in your current FT position, you can use that to get a raise or get a promotion. That approach will obviously take more time before you see results, but overall I think you will make yourself a more valuable asset. If your company doesn't recognize that, you can always look for another company that does recognize that.

A PT job will obviously provide more immediate results ... but I don't think that it will help as much in the long term. If you think about your resume, your experience and about your skill set in general, there are very few PT jobs that will add much of anything in that respect.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Don't go to work in the retail sector and have to work with J Q Public. It will be miserable. Work where you can earn some tips or some side jobs. Obviously don't do telemarketing.

True for the most part, but kind of depends on what you're selling. I work Sundays at a cigar store in addition to working full time as a Financial Analyst. It's a completely different ball of wax, and a refreshing change of pace. I managed a cigar store for about 8 years down in NC though, so I'm very familiar with the products, which makes it a day to go sit, shoot the **** with fellow cigar smokers, and have a few myself :)

Working at a mall on the other hand? No thanks....

As others have said, if you're going to do part-time, do something you're going to enjoy. You'll never get the big bucks working 1 or 2 days a week. Instead do something you'll look forward to going to instead of having another day of "dreaded work."
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Check out being a telephone operator at your local hospital or messenging service. You sit on your butt & forward calls or take messages.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I was a full time teacher and worked part-time selling electronic office equipment (mainly computers) for 10 years. Don't fall into the trap I did. I started to get out of debt, but, the more I earned the more I spent. Keep your eye on the prize so to speak and if living debt-free is the goal stay focused on that and don't let the extra income entice you.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Options
    GoodLuck MrNightly, hope you find something you enjoy. I on the other hand work for a company that doesn't let their employees rest. 60 to 70 hours a week year round. The overtime is way more than i could make doing anything else. But after 15 years, i'm burnt out............
  • MrNightly
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Well, we don't have a ton of debt by any stretch... I have a great job now, (Just started last week) and the money is very good for me (Salary, so no OT there). My wife works part time teaching piano so that helps a little bit, but she doesn't have a ton of students (10hrs a week @ $30 plus an hour!)

I like the security guard, from my background. I think that would be a good gig. I hadn't really thought about it til now. Being able to carry might also be quite an edge getting hired on as well... :D

I guess you could say the overall goal would be to get out of debt FASTER! I predict that 1 to 2 years of extra work would accomplish that quite nicely, with a little extra cash to boot! We are currently on a great budget, but just getting those few lingering bills paid off will generate that much more money for investments, where my heart really is (Real Estate!!!) I have no concerns that making more money would make us spend more... just not gonna happen. :D

Great advise so far...
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Good luck with your search. I breed dogs as a hobby which also brings in a second income. The pups (Great Pyrenees) go for about $500-$600 each and come in litters of 7-10. You have to love this sort of thing for more than the money or it's not worth it, but the $5000 or so each season sure is nice. Not recommended to everyone, but worth consideration for true dog lovers.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • jgido759
    edited July 2007
    Options
    MrNightly wrote: »
    I like the security guard, from my background. I think that would be a good gig. I hadn't really thought about it til now. Being able to carry might also be quite an edge getting hired on as well... :D

Not as "glamorous" as it sounds. :D

A lot of "crowd control" and dealing with drunks at football games and concerts.

Mostly teachers and postal workers apply because they can start earlier. We do have some "retired" law enforcement officers, however we do not "carry". We also get a lot of young people looking to gain some experience before going to the academy.
    -Drew Carey

-Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I work a lot of OT and off duty now but before that I worked at a bank and moonlit briefly from time to time. It's easy to get burnt out quickly but the money is nice.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I work full-time in IT, 40 hours a week.

My part-time job is at Autozone as parts counter sales. $7.50 an hour, and as many hours as I want to work. I'm averaging around 20 hours a week working most saturday and sundays plus a few nights here and there. 20% discount on auto parts is great :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I work a lot of OT and off duty now but before that I worked at a bank and moonlit briefly from time to time. It's easy to get burnt out quickly but the money is nice.

You should move to Mass. All road work requires a police detail, and all detail officers are paid TRIPLE TIME.
  • MrNightly
    edited July 2007
    Options
    jgido759 wrote: »
    Not as "glamorous" as it sounds. :D

A lot of "crowd control" and dealing with drunks at football games and concerts.

Mostly teachers and postal workers apply because they can start earlier. We do have some "retired" law enforcement officers, however we do not "carry". We also get a lot of young people looking to gain some experience before going to the academy.

Not glamorous? Tell me about it... but I thoroughly enjoyed LE, so that's why I thought it would be a good fit. What company do you work with? I may have to start some searches..

You guys really got me thinking, that if you are gonna take a second job, it best be something you enjoy! Something I hadn't really thought to much about... Since this will most likely be a max of 20hrs a week, why not make it something I enjoy?! :D

OK, gotta hit the classifieds, and see if anything looks interesting!!! Yah.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    Options
    You guys really got me thinking, that if you are gonna take a second job, it best be something you enjoy! Something I hadn't really thought to much about... Since this will most likely be a max of 20hrs a week, why not make it something I enjoy?! :D

Exactly! If it's not something you find interesting or enjoyable, you'll just be misirable and your first job will suffer. Good luck!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I work one day a week at a part time job. At first I had it because I needed some extra $$. Now it is just kind of enjoyable, lots of advantages with store discounts etc and puts me in a different place one day out of the week. Its more like seeing a group of friends periodically rather than a job. The money collects over time. When you look at this weeks pay you wonder why you keep doing it but when you look at the total over many years the amount gets very respectable. Some day when I'm not too lazy I'll probably quit.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    edited July 2007
    Options
    You know, that's a good point that a few people have made already.

When I worked at Pep Boys, we got a steep discount on everything. It was variable depending on what you bought but it made up for the lackluster pay. We could get as much as a 40% discount on special ordered parts which basically meant we got them at jobber cost. In stock parts were 15-20% off. Also, we found ways to get breaks ourselves with "customer satisfaction" price adjustments. ;) Overall though, those discounts made a big difference. I had about $9,000 in parts on my Thunderbird that I special ordered through Pep Boys and I probably paid around $5,000 for them because of employee discounts. I also had alot of work done for peanuts because I was good friends with the service manager.

When I worked at Bradlees, a local, now defunct department store, we got a 15% employee discount on anything in the store and every month, the first paycheck of the month came with a $50 gift certificate for clothing. They also have several Employee Appreciation nights where they would close down the store and open the doors to employees and their families only. Then we'd get our discount plus an extra 30% off of anything in the store.

At my full-time job, we are a large company and they use our vast numbers as leverage to get larger companies to give some pretty steep discounts. We have discount programs with car companies, hotel chains, rental car companies, insurance companies, financial organizations for mortgages, investments and so on and the list goes on. If you want a part-time job, the perks are a thing to look for.

My current part-time job doesn't offer many perks except the fact that I can work when ever I want to and my schedule is flexible. The trucks go out after 11pm and are back in the yard by 11 am. So I can work at night when the weather isn't so hot and nobody is around to bother me. We do get some "perks" in that we give business for parts, shop supplies, tires and so on to the same people consistently so when we need a part or tire or something for a personal vehicle, we call our suppliers first and they'll bend over backwards to get what we need and I don't think I've ever paid full price for anything from them for myself. I've also had my truck towed to the a dealer free of charge because I called the guy who is usually recovering one of our fleet trucks when it's down. It's kind of a "good 'ole boy" thing but hey, it works! That and I ALWAYS get invited to the trade shows and customer appreciation nights for all the vendors! Can't complain about free food and booze and lots free junk!

So yeah, if you're gonna get a part time job, don't overlook benefits, perks and discounts. Some companies like UPS and FedEx have more PT'ers than FT'ers and they offer full medical benefits to all employees, FT and PT alike. I have a friend who works for a lawyer and his bennies aren't so great so he has a PT job working a customer service counter for UPS and he gets better benefits through them. Most of his PT paycheck goes to paying the benefits but that's the reason he's there. He makes plenty of cash at the lawyer's office and his boss there is OK with it. He says he likes the UPS job, they treat him well, the work is mindlessly simple and the people he works with are nice and generally happy people. That's a good deal IMO!

• jgido759
    edited July 2007
    Options
    What company do you work with? I may have to start some searches.

I work for NJSEA (New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority). They have an open hire 2 times a year (April & August). Just go to Giants Stadium and fill out an application. They usually hire about 100 - 125 people a year and lose about 85% before the year is out.

I don't know where you are, but you can probably go to your local sports arena or stadium and do the same thing.
    -Drew Carey

-Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    When I worked at Bradlees, a local, now defunct department store, we got a 15% employee discount on anything in the store and every month, the first paycheck of the month came with a $50 gift certificate for clothing. They also have several Employee Appreciation nights where they would close down the store and open the doors to employees and their families only. Then we'd get our discount plus an extra 30% off of anything in the store

Bradlees, wow thats old school. I remember that store. It's been years since they were around.
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Bradlees? How about Ames? Zares? Lechmere? Service Merchandise?

(some of those may have been New England only)
  • Jstas
    edited July 2007
    Options
    The only one we didn't get down here in the Southern NJ, greater Philly area was Lechmere.

Yeah Fireman32, I'm dating myself. I worked at Bradlees When I was in high school. Got stuck in that job for 3 years until Pep Boys came along for me. Then I got a job at my current full-time job and kept Pep Boys for another year but quit when regional shafted our store manager and brought in another guy who insisted on cleaning house but cutting people's hours until they quit. He was a spineless weenie. Bradlees though, they've been gone for like 7 or 8 years now I think.

bobman, did you guys have Caldor up there too? How about Jamesway? Both of those bit the dust down here when WAL*MART moved in. WAL*MART killed Bradlees, Jamesway, Ames, Caldor, Zares and even Mr. Goodbuys in this area. The only ones that survived were K-mart and Target but only because those two are retail juggenaughts almost as big as WAL*MART. Actually, now that K-mart is part of the Sears, Roebuck and Co, I think they are pretty close to the WAL*MART size.

• bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    Options
    We had Caldor, I don't remember a Jamesway though. I think you might be a couple years older than me, so maybe I missed that one :)
  • jgido759
    edited July 2007
    Options
    How many of you Jersey guys remember "Two Guys" or "Great Eastern"?
    -Drew Carey

-Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • Jstas
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Two Guys yes, Great Eastern, no.

We only had one Two Guys down here that I know of and it never fared well.