360 making grinding noises from dvd drive

Options
WolfKiyoshi
WolfKiyoshi Posts: 96
edited August 2007 in Video Games
well hell.. i'm on my second xbox in just over 7 months..it had problems the first time i turned it on after getting it back it started making a rattling noise.. i smacked it and it went away .. for a while.. anyway thats not the main problem right now its choking sometimes its making weird noises when i play saints row :( the game is flawless.. and its annoying it'll freeze in the middle of a game and it wont read anymore.. should i send it in a second time? or just ride it out until it dies completely.. also another thing the ring of light how it shows the connected controllers.. well when i put my console vertically it doesnt change position :( i hear the little switch inside click but it wont change! anyone else had problems with this?
Post edited by WolfKiyoshi on

Comments

• cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited July 2007
    Options
    A poster in one of the other dead 360 threads said that a grinding drive also destroyed their game disks. Riding this out might cost you more than just another dead 360...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    A poster in one of the other dead 360 threads said that a grinding drive also destroyed their game disks. Riding this out might cost you more than just another dead 360...
    Ya, i believe he said that at least two games were lost. $60 a pop. OUCH!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Eesh, you too eh? I had the exact same problem. As the last poster said, 2 games later and I realized my 360 needed replacing. I was lucky enough to have purchased the BB extended warranty, so the swap was simple.

Go ahead and start the return process.......
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Stand it up on it's end and it should quit....at least it did on my uniy, immediately.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Lawsuits are being filed for the scratched disk problem. Just don't let it eat your games, I'd be careful even if you can somehow make the noise stop...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201002267
  • jflail2
    edited July 2007
    Options
    ND13 wrote: »
    Stand it up on it's end and it should quit....at least it did on my uniy, immediately.

My unit was standing up from day one, and I still ended up with this problem....Good luck!

• WolfKiyoshi
    edited August 2007
    Options
    when i place the console vertically the ring of light wont change position like its supposed to the lights that show what controller is plugged in show the console is still horizontal... way to go microsoft.. dunno how something like that can go bad but it did all it is is a ball bearing acting like a mercury switch -.-
  • jflail2
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I fixed my 2nd one that died in 3 weeks by swapping it out for a PS3....I have been pleased with the improvement in quality :)

• WolfKiyoshi
    edited August 2007
    Options
    bah. ps3 wont do for me all i'd ever use it for is linux since the game lineup rather sucks to me
  • powerlord
    powerlord Posts: 310
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Are you guys telling me that even the new line of Xbox 360's are having the same problems?I was looking a wally worlds price on the premium and I must say that I'm tempted again at that price,but not if the newer strain is plagued.I thought MS had adressed the problems.
    LG 50 in. Plasma
    Eosone setup
    Marantz SR-18U
    HK AVR-7200

My Music
    http://members.soundclick.com/powerlord66
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    Options
    powerlord wrote: »
    Are you guys telling me that even the new line of Xbox 360's are having the same problems?I was looking a wally worlds price on the premium and I must say that I'm tempted again at that price,but not if the newer strain is plagued.I thought MS had adressed the problems.

There's no way to know if the new ones have problems at this point. Reason, because the internet is filled with disinformation. I can go on any website and write a false review, which trust me, fan boys will do.

If you're that concerned, wait a while and wait until articles are written on reputable websites, not the millions of XBox for Playstation fan sites. Or, until you hear things from people you trust.

I would highly doubt they released a new unit with the same issues. If they did, it's ridiculously stupid. Most companies don't try to lose money, which is what they'd be doing if they did that.
  • powerlord
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I hear ya,I love my PS3 but it gets no game time at all and occasional movies.I miss the games the 360 had to offer.I went through 3 red rings though and it wasn't fun.
    LG 50 in. Plasma
    Eosone setup
    Marantz SR-18U
    HK AVR-7200

My Music
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    Options

PL,

If you really can't do without your 360, I'd at least get the elite and stay away from premiums. From reports on the web, it at least got some upgrading from the old designs. And even if the latest batch of premiums got some of the same upgrades, how could you be certain without opening up the box? What manufacture date would you look for? You can read this breakdown of the elite with pictures and commentary to decide for yourself whether or not the upgrades might have fixed the problem.

http://benheck.com/07-12-2007/inside-the-xbox-360-elite#more-304

It's done by a strong xbox supporter who builds these really cool laptop mods that got a nod from engadget. He's also written a book available on amazon that tells how he does this stuff:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/11/ben-heckendorns-xbox-360-laptop-best-mod-ever/

Key among the changes is a modified graphics chip heat sink that takes heat away from under the dvd-rom where the graphics chip is seated via heat pipe to the better airflow in front of the main CPU heat sink. Also, the solid heat paste that makes a connection between the chips and the heat sink has been replaced by a more fluid paste that adjusts better to heat expansion. The old paste would often snap off the chip because it was too rigid. The new paste would seem similar to the paste all of us DIY computer builders use on our own heat sinks like arctic silver 5 (fliud not solid, I'm not saying they're using as5).

Also there appears to be a new dvd-rom drive in it. So the changes might have addressed the dvd-rom problems too.

So the elite would seem to have gotten some solid changes to address the 360's heat and dvd-rom sound and reliability problems. But air movement within the box still seems to be limited. But like I said, the elite seems to be the best bet if you want to take a chance.
  • powerlord
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the solid info chedd,that's what I was looking for .:)
    LG 50 in. Plasma
    Eosone setup
    Marantz SR-18U
    HK AVR-7200

My Music
  • cheddar
    edited August 2007
    Options
    No problem. I know this kind of info isn't always easy to find.
  • jflail2
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I hear ya,I love my PS3 but it gets no game time at all and occasional movies.I miss the games the 360 had to offer.I went through 3 red rings though and it wasn't fun.

All I play are sports games on the console (I have a pc for wow, CS, etc) so the PS3 was a doable transition for me. That being said, I still miss being able to jam with a friend on xbl......too bad there's no cross-console gaming :/