Thanks Dreamworks...OAR takes second place.

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited November 2001 in Music & Movies
So last night I spent sometime tweaking the overscan on my Mits 16:9. I did not save my changes as I was just getting a feeling for what I needed to do when I had more time.

So, after I was done, I decided to crack open SHREK and give it a spin. Put in the disk and hit play.....WTF! There are black bars on the sides of my TV, I'm thinking I screwed something up.

But no...thanks to eff'en Dreamworks, they decided that disk #1 deserved the 4:3 pan-n-scan version, those A**Holes. Now I have to insert disk #2 in order to watch the OAR of the movie.

Yet another slap in the face to the OAR lovers.

Not only this, but the original release of Willy Wonka in 4:3 only, thank god enough complained and the WS is coming. My local BlockBuster (note: I do not rent from them anymore) only carries pan-n-scan versions of Mummy Returns and said that they will only carry p-n-s versions of the up coming new releases.

We, the OAR lovers are getting bent over. Why did I buy a 16:9?

F-You Dreamworks.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Um...So you stuck in Disk two...What is the problem?
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Yeah, really. It says "Disc Two -- Widescreen." Why even look at Disc One, except for the extra stuff?

Now, even the FACT that they included the P&S version on a separate disc is stupid. And Blockbuster is STUPID for not stocking 16:9 versions (even of blockbusters like SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, idiots), but soon... soon... people will come around. We are definitely early adopters by having 16:9 TVs, but someday soon, that's all that will be available.

Most of the confusion and anger generated by P&S vs WIDESCREEN is the result of incomplete or nonexistent education on the part of the film industry and TV and DVD manufacturers. Once people UNDERSTAND widescreen, they usually never go back.

Why'd you get a 16:9 TV?

1. So you can watch OAR films.
    2. So you can be cooler than your lame 4:3 friends.
    3. So you can have the coolest HT around, Ron!

"Shrek" Disc One is just a coaster of extras.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    O.K.

The problem here is that Joe-6-pack is crying for pan-n-scan 4:3 movies on DVD because he hates black bars and the Wide Screen versions are being left out, or pushed to the back. Filling the TV screen is more important than seeing the entire movie. Soon, WS DVDs will be a thing of that past if this keeps up.

In Sept. at the HT meet here in LA, several of the studios said they are in constant attack from their sales reps because stores like Wallmart/Target/BlockBusters are putting the pressure on them to produce 4:3 P-n-S versions. These stores take the blunt of compalints for J6P because he gets his DVD home and only half the screen is filled. So the stores complain to the sales reps, the reps inturn complain to their studios. The studios are then forced to start putting out P-n-S DVDs.

Remember when DVD first hit the market, you could not find a P-n-S version for the life of you. Look what has happened in just the past year.

Now according to Dreamworks. The OAR of Shrek gets put on the second disk.

Willy Wonka, originally only a P-n-S version was available. But, due to enough compalints an OAR version will be available soon. So, now do we need to start putting up a fuss and complaining because we want to see the whole movie?

Dreamworks is one-step closer by giving Shreks OAR second place on disk #2, it should be on the frist disk.

Does that help?

If...
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Well said Micah!

If...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    p-n-s = P.O.S.

wider is better, i can't wait for the day when every broadcast signal is 16:9. i've converted about 10 p-n-s lovers to WS once i explained it to them. now for the other couple billion...
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    ..and I just found out that BallSucker is only going to carry the P-n-S version of Jim Carrys "The Grinch" for rental.

The OAR Titanic is sinking.

If...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited November 2001
    the grinch is a 'to-own' disc anyway. no need to rent it, buy it!
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Oh, trust me, I will buy it.

If...
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited November 2001
    Ok...It's on the second disk...I guess I get it...Jsut be happy it's in the cast at all.
    I know I am...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    First of all, if you DARE BUY any P&S DVD, especially when you're so against it, you're a hypocrit. Just don't buy it. No one needs "Grinch" so bad that you have to buy this DVD. Avoid it. It sucks anyway.

Second of all, this is a question of EDUCATION. Once J6P understands the concept, and understands the difference between the movie theater screen and the tv screen, and SEES examples of what is cut out in a P&S version, they will get the clue.

Promise: Once we educate J6P on the way it is, they will fall in line like sheep.

Prollem is, how to? I'm just one guy, I can't reach everyone, and mainstream audio media avoids this issue almost completely.

Can someone post a list of good educating widescreen URLS like

http://www.wombat.zaq.ne.jp/auaen906/letterbox.pdf

http://www.widescreen.org/examples.html

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~leopold/Ld/FilmToVideo/index.html

Any more?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited November 2001
    Micah,

I would NEVER buy a P-n-S DVD.

The Grinch is being sold in it's OAR. But, places like BallSucker will only carry the P-n-S versions for rental. How are we to educated the J6P masses if this keeps up? This should be the job of rental shops, they are the bulk of J6P's home movie experience.

I'm glad your happy jdelan. But at the rate things are going, you may not be later.

If...
  • Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    Check this nifty thread at another great forum...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/032758.html

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Micah Cohen
    edited November 2001
    It's not the job of the rental place, or the buying place, to educate the masses on the "rightness" of OAR. It's up to the filmmakers and studios.* They need to produce far more literature and demos about the differences, and they need to simply STOP producing 4:3 DVD versions.

* Of course, the studios want to sell as much product as possible, so it's not in their favor to do this...

(Here's an idear: keep VHS for P&S versions; those people can keep their VCRs and get some use out of them. When they figure out how much other stuff is hidden on the DVD disc -- sound, extras, etc. -- they'll come over to the side of good and light on their own.)

In the meantime, check that cool "Why Letterbox?" extra on the DIE HARD disc set. The studios need to produce more things like this, and get them into the retailers in the form of posters and brochures and stuff that J6P can SEE. Show the benefits, and J6P will buy it.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2001
    It's true, once you go widescreen, you don't want to go back.

I used to hate those black bars when I first started watching movies in 16:9, but once I realized what was going on, I can't watch 4:3 anymore.

I go insane watching p-n-s movies on HBO and such. The digital camera moves are SO DAMN OBVIOUS now it's ridiculous. It makes me HATE watching 4:3 movies. Friends don't seem to understand sometimes, but you've literally got to show them what they are missing....for example:

The 5th Element DVD has both widescreen and 4:3 on the same disc, so what I do is show my friends the widescreen, go to a scene with people covering both ends of the screen... flip the DVD, show them the same scene on 4:3, they **** their pants when they realize an entire person is CUT OUT of the scene. I say to them, "Is this really the shot you think the director envisioned in this scene?"

I wish there were more educational features on DVDs like the one on the Die Hard disc set. I can't wait to get my 16:9 TV -- WHERE IS IT!!!

~JB
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited November 2001
    I know how you feel. My mother-in-law does not like widescreen. She says it is too small, but I keep telling her that I am not going to show a DVD in PS, that is what a VCR is for. She always seems to enjoy the DVD once it is started. I have convinced her husband to go widescreen by showing him one of his favorite movies. In one of the talk scenes there was a person missing and with the widescreen he could see the person. He did not realize what he was missing by watching PS. Like Micah is saying we must educate the masses.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2001
    Front projection people don't have this problem. Wonder why?
    Okay, this is a shameless plug. I am trying to be good. Ha!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited November 2001
    Okay, let me get a thought out. We FP owners have understood widescreen theory for some time now. My point is that 15 years ago movies were made the same way they are now. 16:9 . Its only now that some are "bothered" by the magical black and grey bars on their tv screens. Before the term letterbox or widescreen can about most were happy with there square bood tubes. Right! Widescreen is HT, but with an 8' or 10' projection screen its not that big of a deal. I like the way anomorphic looks on my 8 foot screen. Did a make a point or am I just blabbing???2cents
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited November 2001
    problem with the regular joe that rents his movies is that there tv's are usually not real big 20",27" and they have this mentality of "if i wanted to only that much of a movie i would have bought a smaller tv":rolleyes: most of them will never get it. i have a sony 36"wega xbr and i love it!!! widescreen looks great on it but i have had people over and we will be watching a movie and someone will pop off "you need to get rid of the black bars, i can' stand that.""why do they do that?" this in my house and some one is going to knock my preferred method :mad: so i try to eXplain that you get more of the movie and this is how it is seen in the theater, but they still dont beleive me.

WELL THEY CAN GO HOME AND WATCH THEIR 20" MONO BARLEY A TV WITH THEIR OUT DATED VCR OR WORSE YET "I'M COOL BECAUSE I HAVE A DVD PLAYER NOW" ATTITUDE. I DON'T WANT THEM ENJOYING MY HT..
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray