monitor 5 8" passive radiator question

Options
hpc
hpc Posts: 5
edited July 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hi all. I posted a request to help identify a pair of monitor 5's last week, and I have finally gotten around to hooking them up.

One of the speakers (the 8") doesn't work. I pulled the speaker out, and saw there was no wire attached to it, I thought I had found the cause (yeah, I'm a noob).

I took the 8" speaker out of the other monitor and saw ta daaaa no wire (OK lesson learned).

So my question is:
Do I need to replace one of the transistor looking parts?

The one that is working sounds great, I'd love to get both of them up and running.

Thanks for any help you can provide with this. And please feel free to move this post if I've started it in the wrong part of the forum.
Post edited by hpc on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Are the midwoofers working as they should? With the rig powered off, and a light press on the 8 inch passive radiator - does the midwoofer move outward on the speaker in question?

A locked driver will still play in some intances, but with uber limited excursion.

Air leaks? Are all drivers tightened down? The cabinet needs a good seal for the PR (passive radiator) to function properly.

Welcome to the boards.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2007
    Options
    press on the surround on the 6 1/2" mid bass driver and see if it makes any sound.. if it's bad, the sound would be scratchy and not move easily. if it's good. it will move freely and no sound should be heard.

Or you can do as Russman said.. and press on the passive and see if the mid bass driver moves out then slowly goes back inward.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hpc
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the promp response guys, I'll check those two things out. Oh and a big shout out to danger boy, I'm in Puyallup Washington..must be hotter than heck over there in Spokane right now.
    Again, thanks for the help, I will post back with my progress.....or more nooby questions. :)
  • danger boy
    edited July 2007
    Options
    yes it was over 100 degrees last week.. we got a little bit of a relief from the heat last weekend. By the end of this week it's suppose to 106 :eek: :eek: welcome to club Polk hpc.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited July 2007
    Options
    One of the speakers (the 8") doesn't work. I pulled the speaker out, and saw there was no wire attached to it, I thought I had found the cause (yeah, I'm a noob).

It's also possible that the back section of the PR has come unglued from the front. Take a look, it should be easy to see, just compare it to the good one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hpc
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hey all, just wanted to post back and let you know what was wrong with my speaker. The 6 1/2 inch mid bass' driver was stuck in the in position. It was still producing sound (very high pitched tin sound), but not enough to do it's job.
    I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my post. You were a great help.

Thanks again.
    hpc :)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited July 2007
    Options
    hpc wrote: »
    Hey all, just wanted to post back and let you know what was wrong with my speaker. The 6 1/2 inch mid bass' driver was stuck in the in position. It was still producing sound (very high pitched tin sound), but not enough to do it's job.
    I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my post. You were a great help.

Thanks again.
    hpc :)

So I take it you got it un-stuck and life is good?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • danger boy
    edited July 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    So I take it you got it un-stuck and life is good?

i think it needs to be replaced.. as far as I know.. it sounds like the voice coil is fried... that's why it's stuck. Buy two replacement drivers from Polk customer service.. let them know before you order it you are a club Polk member for a price cut.

replacing both at the same time will yeild the same sonic sound from both speakers... both will be new as opposed to one new and one old.

good luck.
  • nerdorama
    nerdorama Posts: 3
    edited July 2007
    Options
    hpc,

Did you get it unstuck? I recently got a pair of 5's that had the magnet come unglued from the basket. The voice coil was intact, so I was able to remove the entire cone/spider from the basket, reglue the magnet and voila.

I see you mention that you are in Puyallup. I'm in Kent if I could offer any help.

John
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Mid-woofers can also stick when dropped, kicked or beaten. You say it was "in"... how did you get it unstuck? Sometimes a few random thumps from a rubber hammer against the magnet assembly will free it. Usually locked mid-woofers will never play as they should.

Polk Audio offers replacement mid-woofers that match most models but they do not have the gray paper surrounds like yours that scream vintage. The best way to match your other mid-woofer and passive radiators is to watch for an old one to come up for sale. These show up here and there a few times a year.