Hook up for the RT1000

Options
Dwain
Dwain Posts: 13
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Which is the best way to hook up the RT1000. Do you hook up the sub inputs in series with the subs , or to you use the clips to attach both sets of binding posts? Any suggestions?

Denon 3802 receiver
Denon DvD 1600 progressive scan
CS240i center
RT1000 fronts
RT28i surrounds
FX300i Rear back surrounds
Velodyne CHT 10 sub
Velodyne CHT 12 sub
Mitsibishi 27" tele
Monster cables/ 10 ga speaker wire
Post edited by Dwain on

Comments

• cscsDanny
    cscsDanny Posts: 30
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Having spent many hours tinkering with hookup options I have come to one incontrovertible conclusion. All things are relative, what works for me might not work for you. That said. I did have these powered towers hooked up to my LFE out on my receiver. I then proceeded to daisy chain them together with subwoofer rca cable. I wasn't impressed with the sound or the unsightly appearnce of all those cables.

I really wasn't impressed with this connection as these towers will not replace the need for even the most modest of dedicated subs. If your running a sub I would simply suggest that you keep the gold binding clips in place and run one set of wires to the top +- terminal.

I choose to keep all of my speakers set to small, except the rt1000i's and selected "nosub" on my receiver. I Then removed the dedicated sub rca cables and have the powered towers running on speaker wire alone.
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
    DVD PLAYER: Sony DVP-NC655P
    Mains: Bi-Amped Polk Rt1000i
    Surrounds: Bi-Wired Polk Rt55i
    Center: Bi-Wired Polk Cs400i
    Subwooofer: SVS PB1

• dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    Options
    When I got my Rt1000s I hooked them up with speaker wire to the upper drivers and sub cable to the subs. They sounded horrible, I then used speaker wire to both (as it was in the store) and it sounds much better. I have all of my speakers set to large, that is what sounded best for me. The low's are not as good as my first system, so I broke down and ordered a dedicated sub, I should have it in a week.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by cscsDanny
    If your running a sub I would simply suggest that you keep the gold binding clips in place and run one set of wires to the top +- terminal.

I'm just curious why the top terminals vs. the bottom ones? Ultimately, it wouldn't matter, true?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The top terminals are for the midrange and tweeter, the bottom the powered subwoofer. In theory you would have a cleaner connection to them by the speaker wire going to them, the quality of the connecting to the sub is less critical. I tossed the binding clips and just jumped the speaker wire to both (going to the top first).
  • Dwain
    Dwain Posts: 13
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I appreciate all the inquires. I to have them hooked up with speaker wire and the clips, and the rt1000's set to small.

Denon 3802 receiver
    Denon DvD 1600 progressive scan
    CS240i center
    RT1000 fronts
    RT28i surrounds
    FX300i Rear back surrounds
    Velodyne CHT 10 sub
    Velodyne CHT 12 sub
    Mitsibishi 27" tele
    Monster cables/ 10 ga speaker wire
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Dwain, I have owned the rt1000's for 5 years now and with your dedicated subs, the way you have them setup now has worked very well for me and I agree that is the best setup.
    If you have subs them a large setting may yeild a little "more" bass. I may suggest losing the clips and jumping small runs of speaker wire from the top post to the bottom. The clips tend to loosen up and lose contact.