New disc available!

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
First of all let me say I'm still enjoying the black vinyl!!! Just released is a re-mastered LP from John Lee Hooker available soon at www.acousticsounds.com !

Another one is an SACD of Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" in 5.1.

Isn't technology both old and new cool!!!
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2003
    Will that Floyd SACD also play in 2 channel or just 5.1?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited January 2003
    It says "hybrid sacd". Does that mean 2 channel or 5.1 channel in an sacd player /or/ 5.1 channel in a sacd player and 2 channel in a cd player?

I'm confused on this issue.

• madmax
    edited January 2003

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited January 2003
    Hybrid Stereo means CD and SACD layers. If it says Hybrid Multichannel, then it has CD, stereo SACD and multichannel SACD layers.
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    If, as tonyv1 says, the hybrid multi will play everything, then why the hell don't they just start selling them as the norm? It sure would solve all kinds of confusion.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited January 2003
    The Rolling Stones ABKCO remasters are CD/SACD, but not advertised as SACD. I guess this was done NOT to confuse joe six-pack. Sony is starting production in Terra Haute for hybrid SACD. Nice thing about the hybrids is that you can still copy the CD layer.
    For more SACD info, checkout this out:
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/sacd.asp
  • F1nut
    edited January 2003
    I'm aware the hybrid sacd's will play both sacd and cd, but I'm not clear about what the hybrid multi will play. I'll check out your link, thanks. I bought alot of the Stones new sacd's, they never sounded better....except live, of course.

President of Club Polk

• jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    I'm almost sure at some point all the new releases will be Hybrid Multi-Channel SACD's. This will allow the manufactors to protect the CD from us copying it. You cain't make a digital copy of the multi-channel SACD, or DVD-Audio disc. That's what they want. But to get everyone to buy them they have to be able to play on a regular CD player. I reciently read that DVD-Audio is planning to sell disc with a stereo layer you can play on a regular CD player. The SACD sales are hurting them so they have to do it to be able to compete.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • F1nut
    edited February 2003
    I read that also and that it's probably too little, too late for DVD-A to save itself.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited February 2003
    New LP release of the same is being released soon as well!
    madmax

• F1nut
    edited February 2003
    Ok, I found the definite answer. Hybrid multi-channel will play everything.

President of Club Polk