Our First Widescreen

Options
sterling bug
sterling bug Posts: 228
edited January 2003 in Electronics
On Monday night we finally bought our first widescreen t.v. at Best Buy. No interest financing for 24 months we couldn't pass that up. Their customer service and the knowledge of the people are not the greatest but they do have good deals. They delivered it on Wednesday and I've been playing around with it ever since. It is a Mitsubishi WS-A48 HDTV Upgradeable. I have an authorized Mitsubishi service representative coming out this Wednesday to calibrate it as I feel I will get more out of the t.v. than by me doing it. It looks good now but will look better with some professional attention. Now its a real home theatre, no more square t.v. Home Theatre is fun stuff!

My Setup:

T.V.: Mitsubishi WS-A48
Receiver: Kenwood VR-309
DVD Player: Pioneer DV-414
Front: Polk R50
Center: CSi20
Surrounds: Bose 21
Subwoofer: Polk PSW250
Cables: Monster
Post edited by sterling bug on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Congrats!! Now you get to see what you've been missing. Is your DVD player capable of progressive scan? If not, that should be your next purchase. Any chance that your local stations are broadcasting in HDTV yet?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Congrats, welcome to the big leagues. Enjoy!!!!
    Home Theatre is fun stuff!
    And the upgrading will never end. What till I tell ya the Mit has a 73incher. I Just did!!!!!!!!:eek:
  • sterling bug
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks Frank. No, our DVD player is not progressive scan. Progressive scan is next on the radar but when that happens I don't know. Hopefully late this year or early next year. Maybe I should ask the wife while she is sleeping and get a yes that way. Is progessive scan that much better? We will probably get the HD tuner when we move and get a satellite dish.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ya - if your tv is HD then progressive scan is well worth the money. IMHO The purpose of HD other than Broadcast tuner would be for progressive DVD/HT watching.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Agreed, prog.scan is the way to go. Keep in mind that you do not have to spend a small fortune to get a good player. I was really amazed at the difference in picture quality from interlaced to prog.scan. A couple of movies that really show off what progressive scan can do are Forbidden Planet and H.G.Wells The Time Machine (original version). Yeah they're "Oldies" but they are great for really seeing the difference.

A little trick to help persuade the wife, pick up the new DVD player and a half dozen of HER favorite movies to watch.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Sterling,

Congrats on the new TV. Before you get it calibrated, let it burn in for about 100 hours. Also, I would avoid the "Mits certified tech" for the cal, there are what I consider more qualified indepedent calibrators out there. Check out the AVS forum and the Home Theater Spot for info and calibrators. I learned enough over there to do my own tweaks and put off getting mine cal'd for a while.

Wally
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    it tool me a year to get a p-scan dvd for my hd-ready tv. my dvd died and i had to get a new one so. p-san i got i got the hk dvd 25 prety nice and got it for 189
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I got a 43" Hitachi at the end of December, but I haven't had a chance to watch it very much. I've been away for a solid month doing an away rotation with school.

The picture was great, but no progressive scan DVD player... I recently purchased one and can't wait until I get back home to hook it up!

Just how much of a difference is progressive scan going to make?
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited January 2003
    Options
    DO NOT HAVE IT CALIBRATED YET. You'll just throw your money away as the picture will change during the break in period and it'll need to be recalibrated after a few hundred hours.

Also, the Mitsubishi sets sold at best buy are not the same Mitsubishi models sold everywhere else. They are stripped of some features. This was done to expand into a popular store without pissing off smaller stores.

The "upgradeable" part is often called the "promise module" that will incorporate DVI and firewire into the lower Mits line so that you can use HDTV and HD-DVD in the future. Just to forewarn you though, cost is 1000. Middle and high end Mits sets sold elsewhere incorporate firewire and an internal HDTV tuner (and generally don't cost 1000 more). If these things concern you, its probably not too late to return the set and get something that won't be obsolete in two years. Mits is a good tv either way.
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited January 2003
    Options
    hey sterling bug,

welcome to the forum, congrats on the new mits. HDTV
    I've had mine a little over a year now love it. Don't have a HDTV box yet so the best picture I see is the progressive scan DVD it's candy period. You will get a pro-scan DVD before the year is out. Prices are dropping like the stock market. Players are loaded with features too. Try to get one with a least one of the multi-channel music formats, SACD or DVD-Audio, or a combo player which is the way to go. The only thing I think is better is Plasma TV. Hey got a birthday comming up ?
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • ted538
    ted538 Posts: 63
    edited January 2003
    Options
    you have to buy a progressive scan dvd player if you have a widescreen HDTV..it`s an absolute must trust me.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Congrats on the new purchase!

Like said above do not calibrate it until you have at least 100 hours on it. Also, do not have Mits do the calibration. Get a certified ISF calibrationist to do it. They will spend the good part of 6 hours doing much, much more than Mits will ever do.

I had my 46807 ISF'd last February, he spent 5 hours on my set. I am having him back out in April to do a touch up calibration.

Here is a link to Gregg Loewen's site. Contact him for a real calibration.

http://www.lionav.com/

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • sterling bug
    edited January 2003
    Options
    All this talk about progressive scan makes me want to go get one now. I think sooner than later is the way to go.