Placement of 404 Sub

Options
Ken1222
Ken1222 Posts: 17
Hello - Have a 404 Sub with Onkyo TSR 600. TV and equipment is housed in wood entertainment center. Room is 13 x 17.

My question is...the side of the entertainment ctr that I want to place the sub has a wall air vent 1 foot from the floor. Is it OK to put my sub about two feet from this vent? I am concerned about the heat blowing on the sub. I called Polk and they said dont worry about it.

Also, what's all this about a hum? I havent hooked anything up yet and am wondering if I made a mistake with a Polk sub as opposed to something else that does not hum.

Thanks
Post edited by Ken1222 on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Listen to polk, and dont worry about it. I have no experience with polk subs, but plug it in and find out! LOL!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Ken1222
    My question is...the side of the entertainment ctr that I want to place the sub has a wall air vent 1 foot from the floor. Is it OK to put my sub about two feet from this vent? I am concerned about the heat blowing on the sub. I called Polk and they said dont worry about it.

I believe Polk is the wise person here. Physically I doubt having the vent blowing on sub will affect the operating limitations of the unit. Not sure how it will affect the performance of the unit though. If space/ergonomics is not a limitation, try putting the sub in a few different places to see where it sounds best.
    Also, what's all this about a hum? I havent hooked anything up yet and am wondering if I made a mistake with a Polk sub as opposed to something else that does not hum.

I wouldn't worry about the hum. It's a known design issue. The hum is from the transformer inside the unit that converts the 115V-120V 60Hz signal to something the sub's powered amp can use. Some people claim Polk used a cheap transformer (thus the hum). I tend to believe that they used a larger transformer (for the fact that the amp can put out 200W RMS) thus the hum is more predominant. It's not very loud, nor is it noticable if your room has ambient noise in it (TV on, kids playing, wife/gf moaning...)

Just my two Lincoln's.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....