Tri-Lam vs. Silk Dome - Which Do You Like?

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited January 2003 in Speakers
Is the timbre close between the tri-lam tweet in the RT...i and the the silk dome tweet in the RTi..?

If I can't find an f/x500i, and I might settle for an F/Xi50.

Has anyone heard both A-B and what is your opinion on how well a F/Xi50 would timbre match (or mis-match) in my system as di-pole side surrounds?

Thanks,

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Tri-Lam

will the silk dome timbre match OK with the tri-lam?

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Per Ken S, yes it will. The differences he described as 'subtle'.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Thanks, Rooster - exactly what I needed to know - and from the horses mouth no less. F/Xi50 here I come. Thanks very much for that bit of research - I really appreciate it.

The CS245i's are going to now be run as rear surrounds off the rear surround pre-out on my Kenwood using a Y-splitter and both channels the Harman Kardon h/k870 stereo amp. Having two back there should give a rock solid rear sound stage.

The F/Xi50's will be mounted on the side walls and serve as side surrounds in di-pole mode.

I'm digging this upgrade. But I've been really struggling with how to run the friggin' speaker wire for the side surrounds. Any ideas?

SVS
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You have nothing to worry about. I have the silk on my CSi40 with the 800i as mains before I upgraded and the timbre matching was excellent. The silk sounds slightly brighter but it won't mess up the soundfield.

Maurice
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Very little diff. I know first hand.
    Can we post a top ten question list and list this one.:D With a speaker line like this - the only alternitive would be to replace all the speakers.
    Not practical at all.
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I kind of like the sound of the newer series' tweeters from what little I've heard of them in CC "sound rooms". I think they sound a little brighter, which I seem to like better (must be from all of those years that my ears got "Klipschified").
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I agree on the brightness point. My front soundsatge(RTi70, CSi30) has all silks whereas the RT25i surrounds have TriLams. The silks do sound brighter than the TriLams, but I persoanllly think that having a brighter speaker on surrounds is a better idea.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    will the silk dome timbre match OK with the tri-lam?
    I had the fx300's for surrounds matched up with my RT55's and CS400. The 300's sounded much flatter than what I now use, the RT25i's with the Tri-Lams.

In my case, the differences were more than subtle. The Tri-Lams fq range is 26kHz where as the silks max at 22kHz. I noticed the difference and sold my 300's for that reason alone. They were not near as bright as the Tri-lams.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.