FS: Dodd Audio Dual Mono 50w Tube Amp

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited June 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
One of a kind, dual mono design using the 7044 front end from his 120w monoblocks. Amp is in outstanding shape, and sounds amazing. I've driven LSi9's to Alpha LS on it, and it's never skipped a beat.

Cardas solid milled copper binders on rear with IEC and Tiffany gold RCA inputs. NO BIASING, plug and play. Standby / Operate switch on front along with power on / off. Installed is an NOS matched quad of National East German 6CA7 (EL34). Solid 50watt output.

As I said, one a kind, and I'd be keeping it - but I've got to finish paying a debt to an old friend.

$1350 shipped, lower 48

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    Options
    This is the one from LoneStar Audio, right? Sweet sounding amp for sure! Sure it will sell like a hotcake.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Yes, I used it at the fest to demo the LSi9 / RTi10
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2007
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Hell no! That's Dodd iron, custom wound, his own design.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2007
    Options
    No knock intended. Those are the spittin' image of ST-70 iron (which was, IMHO, 99% responsible for the success of that design.)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Not a knock at all, but I couldn't sell an amp with ST70 iron on it for that much, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I think the ST70 is 'the' best amp ever made, looking at things overall. Cheap, reliable, plenty of parts and upgrades available, good power output, etc etc.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled sale.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Hi Russ,
    Would you consider trade this amp for my Usher center speaker + cash difference? This trade might not make any sense to you, but I just give it a try. Thanks, Russ.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I appreciate the offer, but I'd just end up having to sell the center as I have no use for it. Have you tried throwing it up the 'gon yet? I would think it would move fairly quickly - you don't see Usher centers up for sale very often, surely someone would jump on it.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • haimoc
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Yes, I have it on the 'Gon, and I had an offer from a scammer.. :)
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    Options
    bump for the russman........that stack looks beautiful btw
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Russ

How do you get your CD player to levitate like that?
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Very strong opposing magnets. It's a platform Gary Dodd used to make called 'The Levitator'.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    haimoc, you've got a pm.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Major droolage going on here.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    $100 price reduction, off the 'gon on Saturday.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2007
    Options
    i WOOD spill blood for that pre.

Guys this is a reel chance to step into something a cut above the ordinary.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You need another good amp for PF, don't ya? That Manley is still returnable, no? ;)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Final reduction, off to the 'gon tonight.
  • haimoc
    edited June 2007
    Options
  • haimoc
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Payment sent to Paypal.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Options
    WOooooooooHOooooooo!

Congrats, haimoc!

I expect a complete and thorough review!!!!!

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That's a giant killer amp.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Yes it is. It's an AMP that was for sale (Ted talking about preamps too).
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That's what I get for scrolling and reading his toilet based scribbles as opposed to actual reading comprehension.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • haimoc
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Thanks, Russ and all. I am looking to try this amp with my ProAC speakers. Hopefully, they match well. I will let everyone know how I like the amp.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You're going to **** your flat hat, I promise. You finally get to hear the soundstage your ProAcs are capable of.
  • haimoc
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Thanks, Russ, for delivery of this amp from Texas to Maryland.. :eek:
    I connected the amp to the system, last night. Initial setup included ProAC1.5, Arcam AVP700 Pre/Pro, Classe CDP-102 CD player (from my brother), and Dodd Tube Amp.

Previously, the same setup with Rotel 1075 Amp was not welcomed for music playing. It was dry, harsh, and hard to listen for more than one hour.

With this Dodd tube amp, the sound was "FILLING" the family room and kitchen with smooth, warm, and ear pleasing sound. Even when I switched the Classe cd player for Denon 2910 player, the sound was still smooth and pleasing. Bass was tighter. This is just an experience from a couple hours of playing with it. The sound was much more enjoyable compared to my previous setup. I guess a tube preamp and CD player are next in line.... :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You got a spankin good deal my man.Those Dodd's are the real deal.When asked to describe the tube sound,I can only reply as you did,the music is just more enjoyable.Congrats on the new gear and enjoy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Haimoc,

Very cool, love the Dodd the gear glad to hear it really gets you and the rig going.

Mark, I do promise to get you a primer, random thoughts and all that you know.

Russ, Ok I have to know, what happens when you stick mr. dickey-doo in between the magnets on the levitator and dont even try to tell me you have not done it................

Rock On.

RT1