att scottvamp center on steriods

Options
dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
Hey scottvamp, I got 2 rti38,1cs400 & 2 202 subs ( free with purchase of spks) and hooked them all up to center, using a old Sony es receiver as amp for it all. All I can say is WOW! The center channel is much more clearer. Thanks again for your help. My eq is Denon avs4800, jvs 7 disk dvd, toshiba 9200 dvd, onkyo amp for mains, sony es receiver for center, rti150 spk, 4 fx50i, 2 rti38 & 1 cs400 for center 2 subs with center, 2 yamaha subs, 65 zenith wd tv
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    dholmes, that is a very nice list of equipment. Your HT must freaking rock. I'm glad I was able to help out. Enjoy!!!!
    Must show use some pics whenever you get a chance. :cool:
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott how exactly did u hook the rt35i's up to your center and remain a center image? im sorda lost on the whole ordeal....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yeah Scott, parallel, series, what impedance are you drawing now?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have answered this question 3 times since the original post.
    Strange how one person "Gets it" & "Does it" and all of a sudden I get " aaah what is with this center thing now". But that is OK - I am here to spread the knowledge. LOL
    I simply bought 2 rt35's and added to my frontstage along with my cs400. Bought a 2channel Onkyo amp (that was specifically designed for my reciever) - Split the "center" preout on my reciever and ran it to the inputs on the Onkyo M282. Now I have 300watts of power - with 3 "matching" speakers - all 3 with 100watts each of discret center channel sound. The cs400 is powered off my reciever and the rt35's off the M282. Solved all my center channel issues. Fun Project - Looks Cool And sounds amazing.
    GET IT!!!!!!;)
  • weiser
    weiser Posts: 55
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I am thinking of doing same with my system. I have the CS400i center and would like to know what you would recommend as a good match for 1 or 2 more centers. I will probably buy a 2 ch. Marantz power amp to run the additional centers.
    JVC AV48WP30 Widescreen TV
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Sony SAT-A50 DSS DD Receiver
    Sonic Frontiers Anthem Amp 1
    Tara Labs-Axiom Interconnects
    Tara Labs Digital 75 Co-axial
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    M&K LP-1S High Pass Filter
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Marantz RC2000 MKii Remote
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Your best bet is going to be the RT line for starters. Since you have the "i" series. I would suggest:
    #1 rt35i would be a perfect match or rt35
    #2 another cs400i and you could truly bi-amp
    #3 even the rt25i's are very impressive broken in.

Getting ya started RT35i's
  • weiser
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply!

You still think running on small for mains is the way to go! I know this subject has been talked to death but I have a hard time setting everything to small in bass management. Have you experimented with different settings?
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    It really depends on the speakers and the reciever/amps used.
    High end equipment may yeild better sound on the "large" side of things. With my reciever and speakers - setting to all small is a much cleaner and more dynamic sound. The reciever does not work too hard and everything sounds less fatiged. Systems will vary - try both and hear what you like. And you do not have to go all large or small you can mix it up a bit to your taste.
  • weiser
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Did you notice a big improvement with the additional centers?
    Also how did you calibrate the speaker levels to match the Polk Cs400?
    I may have to look at the Onkyo amp because I don't think Marantz makes a 2 channel for this purpose( only mono blocks).
    I prefer to use a dedicated 2 channel amp rather than another integrated etc..
    You split off the receiver LFE to the l/r inputs of amp and located each speaker on the left and right of the Polk center?
    The Onkyo amp I think would be a good match with my Marantz receiver as they are both similiar build quality. What do you think?
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Did you notice a big improvement with the additional centers?
    Yes, big improvement on dialouge and more spread of sound to acommendate my projection screen.
    Not to much calibration needed - because it works off the center preout that is already calibrated for my setup.
    You split off the receiver LFE to the l/r inputs of amp and located each speaker on the left and right of the Polk center?
    I did not use the lfe - I split the center preout.
    The Onkyo amp I think would be a good match with my Marantz receiver as they are both similiar build quality. What do you think?
    I agree!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott, you're a good sport, I mean that.

Holy-friggin-cow, you'd think Scott re-invented the wheel! TELL ME MORE!

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well Russ - you start off with a chunk of rock - sort of like a boulder - then you chip away at it until it gets more roundish.
    I'm looking into something new. I may call the - *get this*
    wait for it ---- a "wheel barrel". Ya Baby Yaaaa!!!:D
    I'll keep ya posted. lol
  • weiser
    edited January 2003
    Options
    HaHaHa!

Sorry about that I meant to say you split off receiver center pre-out. I was eluding more towards your placement of the 3 speakers.
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    weiser - I hate showing off pics if my HT but if you want to see the placement here ya go..... again:
  • weiser
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Very Nice!
    Have you tried the setup I was talking about on the other thread.
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6951
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Have you tried the setup I was talking about on the other thread.
    Yes I have indeed BUT as with many dedicated HT's my equipment is in the back of the theater and I would need like 50 feet of rca cable to run to my sub that I recently located upfront.
    Another reason is:
    I feel this way when listening to music only in 2ch. I have the benefit of the M&K with the mains.
    Not that is would not still work but I listen to muti-channel music.
    My reciever has a 6channel sterio dsp setting that kicks **** and I enjoy very much.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott,

I sort of see the application given the size of your screen (damn big hole to fill between your mains), but somewhere between it and a Sony Walkman TV the multi-center benefit has to go away, yes?

Also not all dialogue is dead center, some steering from the mains is desirable, yes? Do you still get this? Seems like if you use a disc and SPL meter to set up your HT, you'd just end up backing the beefed up multi-center back down to keep it level with the rest of your rig...

Weiser,
    Not trying to dissuade you, 65" may be plenty big enough to benefit from this rig. Just some honest questions from a HT neophyte...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I sort of see the application given the size of your screen (damn big hole to fill between your mains), but somewhere between it and a Sony Walkman TV the multi-center benefit has to go away, yes?
    :confused: This was best for my 8' and later growing applications.
    NEXT
    Also not all dialogue is dead center, some steering from the mains is desirable, yes? Do you still get this?
    First of all a center channel is not just for dialogue - this was a very bad misconception spawning from Pro Logic setups.
    You just hit on one of the reasons this is so great - it brought the "steering" dialogue more spacious and closer to the mains which makes it more "seemless".
    NEXT
    Seems like if you use a disc and SPL meter to set up your HT, you'd just end up backing the beefed up multi-center back down to keep it level with the rest of your rig...
    I was asked this same question once before....
    Answer
    Not to much calibration needed - because it works off the center preout that is already calibrated for my setup.
    The monsterous look and 300watts specs may through you for a loop. All three speakers work as one - calibration stays the some.
    But to get an even better use from this setup a run my center about 2db hotter than the mains. It gives a more Movie Theater Feel. Where as the images are well anchored to the screen. Images seem to jump out at ya rather than being so dispersed.
    Bring it;)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post detailed reply... I'm taking notes...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Thank you for taking the time to post detailed reply... I'm taking notes...

I just print and file. I'm rater lazey.;)

HBpmb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • tntvt
    tntvt Posts: 121
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Scott... I've never posted before, but I've been reading for some time. Your center set up inspired me to make some changes. You can see my old setup in the system showcase. I've moved the rt3000s off the TV out to the corners of the room. Took my rt1000s off the surrounds and moved them to the sides of the TV. I also have an Onkyo 898 so I took your advice and got the Onkyo amp. This has made a Huge difference in the center stage My cs1000p matches well with the rt1000s. Oh and I brought up some old rt800s out of the basement to fill in the surrounds. Thanks for the insperation!!!!!!!!!!!! As well as the 3 days of playing with the SPL and positioning. :lol:
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I also have an Onkyo 898 so I took your advice and got the Onkyo amp. This has made a Huge difference in the center stage My cs1000p matches well with the rt1000s. Oh and I brought up some old rt800s out of the basement to fill in the surrounds. Thanks for the insperation!!!!!!!!!!!! As well as the 3 days of playing with the SPL and positioning.
    Tntvt, thats very cool. Glad to get ya inspired. Sounds like a very good improvment. That M282 is a very nice edition to the Onkyo reciever. Nice to hear from ya. Now go crank that system up!!:D
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    tntvt, you should post more often! Once every 9 months isn't going to cut it! :) You have a pretty rockin' system and should share your knowledge with others.