unusual looking Nak pre amp - wedge shaped

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited June 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I've never seen anything like this before.. odd looking.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/358627726.html
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited June 2007
    Options
    It's part of their System/1. A whole bunch of wedge components that were actually designed to be rackmounted together.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I can only assume this is for shallow racks. Wonder who it was marketed to?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Refefer wrote: »

People that live on the side of mountains................;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2007
    Options
    They market to me. That is one cool-man item. Love the output knob. Great stuff.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I had an outstanding Nak 620 amp for decades that was similarly designed. Way cool!
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Refefer wrote: »

Home users. The Nak rack was this funky sloped thing. Mounted a big amp, the tuner/preamp, a tape deck, and something else I'm probably forgetting.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    Options
    They market to me. That is one cool-man item. Love the output knob. Great stuff.

George.. i don't think that's the output knob.. the big dial is the tuner knob AFAIK.. very odd indeed. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That was Nak's very first foray into to electronics. Late 70's I believe. You see the amps and pre-amps FS quite often. I've never really listened to the combo. People seem to think they sound pretty damn good. In the 80's is when NAK made a name for themselves selling (IMO) the best cassette decks of all time, they had many innovations that really made the decks stand out.

Then came the PA, CA, ST, OMS series of seperate components that for the day were probably a tad overpriced for what you got, but it was damn soild, excellent sounding stuff. I still own a CA-5 preamp I bought new in 1985 and it has been in constant use since then. A very nice sounding sleeper of a preamp.

1982-1989 was Nak's heydey and they really delivered the goods. Many of that generation gear is still running today untouched, which is a real testament to the build quality.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited June 2007
    Options
    A big tuning dial like the KLH Model 18. Which I have. I didn't realize that Nak was a pre/tuna. Now it's way cool.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That thing is WAY COOL.....If it wasn't totally redundant, I would pick that up to go with the Sansui....Man, that thing looks awesome.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I used to have the amp. Looked just like that. IIRC, it was like 45 WPC, and had these huge heat sinks. It sounded pretty good.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Oh man!....I had forgotten, but I had a whole Nakamichi "rack" system back in the day. I actually took out my first bank loan for it cuz I wanted it so bad, I had my dad co-sign the loan for me.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited June 2007
    Options
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Oh man!....I had forgotten, but I had a whole Nakamichi "rack" system back in the day. I actually took out my first bank loan for it cuz I wanted it so bad, I had my dad co-sign the loan for me.

Joe

Shame on you for getting rid of it :D ........deosn't seem like you get rid of anything Joe :)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Back then I remember it was just not powerful enough. Also, I got into the "mobile disco" thing and had to lug around my gear to school dances, halls, and house parties. That's when I started getting the big amps like SAE and Phase Linear as well as huge JBL speakers. I started with a Chevy van, then I towed a trailer, then started renting U-Haul trucks to move things around. I eventually tired of it and got rid of the JBL's and lighting system.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Nakamichi rocks.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2