Breaking in s subwoofer

Options
T_Unit616
T_Unit616 Posts: 131
edited June 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I have seen people talk about it. So do I need to? I jsut bought to. So if I have to how do I?
Post edited by T_Unit616 on

Comments

• mirra540ryder
    mirra540ryder Posts: 136
    edited June 2007
    Options
    yea man just dont pound it when you first get it. give it 3 or 4 days
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Usually for subs you're looking at just a few hours of break in time. Take it easy for maybe the first three to five hours.
  • T_Unit616
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Alright, so Michael you already know the subs I'm getting?
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Not for the subs you're looking at in particular (because I don't know what plans you have for speakers), but for subs in general. mirra540ryder is right, just take it easy for a couple days and you should be good.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    Options
    if you have one with a stiff suspension (higher-end SQ sub or one built to take a lot of power, say 800+ watts), give it maybe ten hours of moderate volume levels (say 1 cm maximum excursion) before really cranking it... just take it easy for about as long as you can stand, and you'll be fine

it may not actually do anything, breaking it it, but it sure can't hurt
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • T_Unit616
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Ok, just got my subs. Now do they have to in a box to be broken in, because I am custom building the boxes, probably making them this weekend. Also, they will be wedge boxes. I figured out the dimensions:
    Height- 16"
    Width- 14"
    Depth 1- 6.5"
    Depth 2- 15 and 3/4"
    I will be using 3/4" wood
    I got the total volume at 1.01 cubic feet, right about the middle of what they reccomend. So, right or wrong type of box?
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Now do they have to in a box to be broken in

no, they dont.

BUT

you will have to be very careful with excursion. generally, running most any sub full-tilt but unloaded will destroy the suspension, though in this MTX jackhammer world we live in, there are bound to be exceptions.

it is easier and much less obtrusive to play the sub at moderate levels, unloaded, driven by a home stereo or an appropriate-sized filament transformer. you just want to actuate the suspension. it doesnt take a lot of power to do this. having it out of the enclosure makes this bearable to anyone within 100'.

this is probably a day late and a dollar short, since today = monday, or, after the weekend you were building.
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....