Placement of In-wall or in-ceiling surrounds

hatchm
hatchm Posts: 28
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I'm going to be picking up a set of built-in speakers since my wife has no tolerance for seeing speakers /wiring in the room and am trying to decide between the two and wondering on where to place the in relation to the seating area. My only concern with in-wall is that one of them is interior wall and one is exterior (insulation, etc). I actually have a set of rt15i's that I was going to hang off the back wall and make white speaker fabric covers (doilies for speakers :-) but I think the in walls/ceilings would be even better from a SAF standpoint ('til she gets the bill for the drivers).

My current system is:
Denon 2801
Sony DVD
Toshiba 32" Tube
Polk 5Jr L/R
245CSi Center
Sub to come later (PSW202 or 250).

Thanks for any advice (and experience/tips/horror stories about built-ins).
Post edited by hatchm on

Comments

• dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited January 2003
    I have in wall speakers in my living room. When I placed them and opened up the wall I found out that the studs were a little off. This resulted in having to carve out part of a stud. It just took time and energy for the installer. He always reies to avoid outside walls as they often have probems with air leakage in the cold weather. In my HT my wife had a problem with the speakers on the wall at first (she wanted the Bose cubes) but when she grew to like them in time and now actually prefers the look.