which speaker to add for 6.1

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
edited January 2003 in Speakers
First off,this is my first post. I have a CS-245i center, Rt-55i's for my front's, Rt-35i's for my surrounds,and a JBL DPS-10 Sub. I've got a couple questions and am not sure if it's proper to post them both here or ?? but Here goes.
I'm planning on upgrading to 6.1 and am wondering which would be the best rear speaker to add. My space is 11.5' wide X 14.5' long. I've got 2 bookshelves about 1 foot behind my seating area as well as wall space above that to mount . Bookshelf space is 12" and 24" above my seating and is 9.5" deep and 11.5" high. Above that is 1' of wall space before the cieling. I'm wide open on suggestions for that speaker.
I'm also planning on getting a new TV a. I'm down to a Panasonic CT-32HX42 or a Sony KV32-HV600. While I'm not locked in stone on the TV's,they seem to be the best I've seen for my price range(up to $2,000) and prefer direct view.
If I shouldn''t be mixing the TV's in this forum,sorry.Please let me know where I should post otherwise.Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Brentski
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Add another CS245i for your rear center. Or even better find a CS400i for your front (it is a perfect match for the RT55i and RT35i) and move your CS245i to the back.

I would step up to a 36"(size does matter). There are several good ones out there in your price range.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Add another CS245i for your rear center. Or even better find a CS400i for your front (it is a perfect match for the RT55i and RT35i) and move your CS245i to the back.
    Nice - call- very nice. Actually that cs245 is a little small for a center with your setup. Move it to the back.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    And for 2 grand you can do alot better than a 32" tv.;)
    Think big.
  • brentski
    edited January 2003
    Options
    So move the 245 to the back and get a CS400 for the front? That I can do and it will fit(plenty of room in the length and heigth but will the it get muffled in the bookcase with it's power port as it will be right up against the back?).
    As far as the TV,Which sets are recommended for my $2000 range. Anyone have experience with sets I should consider?
    I've seen some 'real low' prices on Reliable Home Theatre. Any knowledge of this here or should I stick with a local dealers for a TV ?
    Thanks again,brentski
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Options
    the sony kv365hs500 is 1999 @ Circuit City. Right now you can get a $100 gift card with the TV so they charge 1899 give you 100 that you can use for thier esp or cables. offer ends today.

I'm planning on making the same move as you (6.1) and i plan on moving my csi30 to the rear and getting the csi40 for the front.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Muahahaha, Im going to do the same as yall. I am going to sale my yamaha receiver, and get another Yammer with 6.1 and 6.1 perouts. I will Just get a Csi30 for either the front or the back. Depends how It all rolls. I would get the i40, but then i'll have to upgrade da mains too, and I dont have that cash, and if I do I need a new vcr and DVD Player.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brentski
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Called my local Polk dealer and mentioned to him what 's been suggested here.Taking my current center(CS-245) and using it for my new rear speaker along with my current surrounds(RT-35's) and replacing my center w/a CS-400.He said that speaker(245) wouldn't fit the bill or sound right as my rear spkr,instead,suggesting I get another RT-35 for that. Is he nut's or just doesn't know what he's talking about?
    Question.is the new CSi40 matched close enough to add to my RT-55 fronts or should I search for an old CS400?
    Also,what other TV's should I compare to the suggested KV-36HS500, streaching my TV allowance to about $2,300. Stay with Sony or????
    Again,thanks for the suggestions,Brentski
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Different people WILL suggest different things.
    Yes another rt35 would be perfect for the rear - let me know when you get a single rt35 or pay more for the pair than the cs245. Like I said I have the cs245i along with my fx500i's and it sounds very good. Either will do well. Even better by 2 cs400's one up front and one in the rear. Options are there.;)
  • brentski
    edited January 2003
    Options
    would the CSi40 have the same "voice match" to go with my older the Rt-55's and 35's? Everyone says to stick with the same brand and model,but am wondering if the CSi-40 would provide the same 'seamless' sound match as the CS-400 would?
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Seamless - I would say no. Different tweeter and design.