Sub Reccomendations

Options
dbournival
dbournival Posts: 131
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I need some reccomendations for a sub.

I currectly have Rt1000i's in my basement rec room. The sound good but do not have the punch for HT that I would like. I hooked up my BA600 sub (from my living room system) to the system and it sounded better, but I caused the suspended ceiling to rattle. The Rt1000i's will also do this when too close to the corners of the room. The BA is a downfiring sub, do you think a front firing sub like the Polks would be better? Could the weak LFE as be from the fact that it's on a carpeted concrete floor vs a hardwood floor in the living room?

Any ideas anyone?
Post edited by dbournival on

Comments

• jltrdavis
    jltrdavis Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes, a front firing sub will work better on the carpeted floor and yes your going to have more rumble on your hardwood floor compared to the carpeted concrete.

-Jason
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    how much do you want to spend for your sub? and how big is the room? and how much bass are you looking for?
    it all depends on what you want to spend.
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    Options
    The room is pretty big, about 32' long and 13' wide. I would like to be under $500 for the sub, because I think most of the problem is the receiver, and I may upgrade it. I have a Pioneer Elite 36 on my main floor (can't move it, it runs a whole house system) and the LFE management is much better. Sounds great with HT or Music

I played with the Onkyo last night and it did a really good job when playing "band of brothers" in DTS, but when I put a music disc in it sounded muddy.
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i would recomend at least a 12 for that size room. if you like bass. or 2 10 at least. if you get some used subs you can get much more and berte bass than if you go new. plus polk dint offer a 12 any more look at veo cht12 or hsu vf-2 or the svs subs are good but a little more than 500.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    plus polk dint offer a 12 any more...

Thought they recently released the PSW505 and the PSW808 which had 12" drivers...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the reccomendations, I stopped @ CC on the way home and they still had psw450's in stock at $349.00 I'm thinking of getting that or would I be better off with a 404, some people say the 404's are better with music.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Baltimore, MD, January 6, 2003: Polk Audio has announced the introduction of the PSW808, a high-performance powered subwoofer that replaces the PSW650, which originally debuted in early 1999. The PSW808 features dual 10-inch drivers with high roll surrounds and two-inch voice coils mounting on opposing one-inch thick MDF baffles.
    Thought they recently released the PSW505 and the PSW808 which had 12" drivers...
    Tony - ya, that would be 10 inchers on the new PSW808.
    Other wise my PSW1200 might be a little jealous. ;)
  • goingganzo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    if you want a even betersub for less you can allways get my velo ct120. in mint 250+ship. it is way beter than the 450 and has good lo end with is a must for ht.
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks, but I want to keep all of the speakers of the brand. I hooked my BA PV600 last night and played around with it. I lose some of the bass from the Rt1000i's, when the sub is set to "yes" but the Sub in place additional effect is positive, but very subtle. Right now if I had never heard my first system I would be happy. I think I'm going to get the PSW404, I can actually get it cheaper than a PSW450 and I think it sounded better for nusic.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Stop by your local Home Depot, pick up a single, thick, pattern / color of your choice, floor tile.

Run you $6 tops, and will give the Boston something 'flat and reflective' to fire on. I've done this on bottom firing, and bottom ported subs on carpet with noticeable improvement. (some subs more than others)

You can go a step further and buy a heavy garden slate, which will provide a reflective surface for it to fire on, AND isolate the sub, tightening up the low end even more. It will however cost you a bit more.

Cheers,
    Russ

(just some thoughts, if you use the Boston in another room, you may still want to try this)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dbournival
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks Russ,

I use the BA in another room with a tile floor. I just trying to get similar bass from my other system.