question about rebuilding drivers

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited January 2003 in Speakers
What would a ballpark figure be for rebuilding the surrounds of a pair of 8" subs from a pair of MA speakers? I had to replace these things 'cause the foam surrounds were totally dry-rotted. I replaced them with a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch subs, which obviously are built for bass, and not true musical quality (plus the crossover in these cabinets are not built for these subs). I kept the old speakers in hopes of being able to find someone that could rebuild the surrounds so that I could use them once again. What is a nominal approxminate figure? Is it even worth doing??? These speakers used to sound NICE... but then they rotted and all they do now is distort. THanks,

nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• Jimmie
    Jimmie Posts: 103
    edited October 2002
    Nadams,
    I replaced the foam rings in a pair of subs for a friend. It is simple to do yourself. Check out this site.

http://www.new-foam.com/

Jimmie
  • nadams
    edited October 2002
    Thanks Jimmie!

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    nadams,
    How'd the repair go?
    Couple of us have same issue and were wondering...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Thewiz666
    Thewiz666 Posts: 13
    edited January 2003
    Not sure where any of you are at, but here in Kansas City there's a company that does exactly that as well as other rebuilding, reconing, and such. The place is called Slice Speaker Service (odd name to me for what they do), and their number is 816-221-8031. They offer upgrades as well, so if you had foam originally, they could use butyl rubber or other stuff depending on your needs
  • nadams
    edited January 2003
    Haven't gotten around to it yet. They're still sitting in the basement, and the RF Punch woofers are still in teh cabinets.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!