Pioneer problems

TheOneRod
TheOneRod Posts: 44
Here’s a weird problem to ponder, guys.

A friend of mine has a Pioneer VSX 603S surround receiver that has a old scratchy vinyl pops and clicks in the left channel, center, and surround channels. The right is clear. The sound doesn’t change with the volume or any tone controls. It also doesn’t matter if anything is plugged into the inputs or not.

Anyone have any ideas or links that I might try for him?

Thanks!
"Watch out for snakes!"
Tom Servo
Post edited by TheOneRod on

Comments

• mark g. nelson
    mark g. nelson Posts: 134
    edited January 2003
    That receiver by my calculations is about 8 years old. I would say it is probably dusty or dirty speaker terminals.Try cleaning them. Also check your speaker wire for problems. I have seen this before old older units.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Yep - could be dirty pots. Get it on my H/K pre amp all the time. Break it down and gt out the electronics cleaner and go to town. See if that cleans it up any. If not, you could have a transistor or capacitor breaking down somewhere - much harder to find.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    If it only does it after the unit has warmed up, get a can of "compond cooler" from the Rat Shack. Follow the circuit back from the speaker terminals and spray the components to cool them off. If overheating is the problem it will go away when you hit the hot spot. Found a bad diode in one of my older receivers this way.

Wally