Visible Volume Indicator

Options
Bob Bell
Bob Bell Posts: 5
I "rearranged" my system and now use my TV as a monitor. (I'm a newbie). In the process I lost the on-screen indication of audio volume. My amp shows teeny db numbers for volume that are not visible from my sweet-spot chair. Is there a "work around" for my situation?
Post edited by Bob Bell on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Your ears ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Bob Bell
    I "rearranged" my system and now use my TV as a monitor. (I'm a newbie). In the process I lost the on-screen indication of audio volume. My amp shows teeny db numbers for volume that are not visible from my sweet-spot chair. Is there a "work around" for my situation?

I take it you're not routing your video signal through the receiver and using the monitor out on the back of the receiver to go to the TV?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Bob Bell
    edited January 2003
    Options
    A matter of fact I am. I tap off the reciever "to" the TV (monitor).
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Bob Bell
    A matter of fact I am. I tap off the reciever "to" the TV (monitor).

Not sure what kind of receiver you have, but in some cases, you may have to configure your receiver and tell it what port (either S-Video or Composite Video) to display the OSD (on screen display). I recently swapped over to an S-Video cable between the receiver and TV and wasn't getting any info from the receiver displayed on the TV until I went into the receiver setup menu and reconfigured the OSD option to S-Video.

This of course assumes that you are putting your TV on the correct video mode (i.e. Video1, Video2, or whatever it is).
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Bob Bell
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to assist me with this issue. I'm in a rural area so all of my TV is via DirecTV, including local channels. My video and audio feed goes directly into the Satellite Receiver. S-video out goes to the Audio Receiver. S-video leaves the Audio Receiver to the TV. My DVD/VCR is similar.

I rechecked the Audio Receiver manual and there is no mention of OSD on-screen display.

Equipment:
    TV is a 50" Hitachi Ultravision 50OUX58K
    Audio/Video Receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D411 (Polk 5.1 setup)
    Satellite Receiver is RCA Model DRD450RG
    The only other equipment is a combo DVD/VCR.
    This system is used only for television viewing. My audio system is completely seperate and controlled from another part of the house.