Replacement Tweeters in Monitor 5

Options
Gretsch6136
Gretsch6136 Posts: 80
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hi Everybody,

I am a big Polk fan. Bought my first Monitor 4.5s in 1989 and have been addicted ever since. I also have Rt12's with Rt/fx and a CS250 for my HT setup.

Anyway, onto the matter at hand: I just bought a set of Monitor 5s off Ebay and the tweeters, whilst working have seen better days. They've been compressed and somebody has pulled them back into shape with a pin or something. Both tweeters have a pin head sized hole dead centre of the dome.

I can't help thinking that they probably aren't performing as well as they should. they sound a touch smeared on the sibilant parts of vocals and with snare drum hits. Cymbals are somewhat splashy rather than zingy.

These tweeters are the black silk dome on a flat black metal mounting plate. How hard is it to find replacements? Does Polk make a newer/better tweeter that is a drop in replacement/upgrade?

Many thanks and keep on Polking!

Mark
Post edited by Gretsch6136 on

Comments

• adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Your tweeters sound like they may be the Peerless models, which many folks consider the most desirable vintage Polk tweeter. If so, the small hole you describe was actually put there by Polk in the factory. Can you provide a pic?

Folks generally do not replace the Peerless, unless there is something wrong with them.

If they are Peerless and damaged, I'm not sure if Polk has a drop-in replacement (one that would not require cabinet or crossover mods). I'm sure other folks will chime in. I do know that there is a replacement for later Monitor tweeters such as the SL-2000.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    RDO194 is the replacement tweet I believe they were in my Monitor 5's
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The RD-0194 replacement is not the same size as the vintage Peerless and will not fit.

www.ebay.com
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You have a link to the 5s you bought? They better not be the ones I just bought!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    didn't it require some moding to fit the 194's in replacing the Peerless.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Those look very nice. Maybe I should do my shopping down under.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2007
    Options
    These tweeters are the black silk dome on a flat black metal mounting plate. How hard is it to find replacements? Does Polk make a newer/better tweeter that is a drop in replacement/upgrade?

It's a Peerless.

Moderate to Difficult.

No.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Gretsch6136
    Gretsch6136 Posts: 80
    edited May 2007
    Options
    What about the pin head sized holes in the domes? Is that a design feature??

Thanks,

Mark
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Yes. It was a "tweak" to trim up response.