Very Mini Polkfest!!!

Options
hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
Fireman32, Dave, took the loooooong trek from North Jersey to Delaware to pick up his turntable and to take a listen to the upgrades and tweaks I've done to my rig since his last visit.

As usual we had a blast but we had one bummer!!!! The AudioQuest Pt-6 tonearm that is mounted on a VPI Super 1" acrylic armboard was not able to come down low enough to get the VTA correct. It was about 1/2 inch too high. So we had to scrap the setup project until we find a solution to our problem.

Anyhoo good tunes & good BS.

Too bad the other local Polkies couldn't make it.

Tomorrow LibertyC Billy is coming down.

This weekend is a great end to an otherwise **** week!!!
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I really want to hear your rig. But I really don't want to hear your rig. If you know what I mean. ( Compliment )

Especially every time you post how good The Police sound. Their CD I have just sounds like ****. Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Diana Krall all sound great but most everything else just doesn't match up.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I really want to hear your rig. But I really don't want to hear your rig. If you know what I mean. ( Compliment )

Especially every time you post how good The Police sound. Their CD I have just sounds like ****. Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Diana Krall all sound great but most everything else just doesn't match up.

When Dave finally sees this thread and posts what he heard, you are really gonna scream about The Police!!!

You are not that far from here, I'd say about an hour's drive. . . you are welcome anytime Bro.

Years ago I setup a kiosk in the Towson Mall for The Franklin Mint!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Options
    That's funny. I'm listening to 'Every Breath You Take' - The Singles CD right now on the RTi10's, sounds GREAT. I had forgotten how much I actually enjoy listening to The Police.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    That's funny. I'm listening to 'Every Breath You Take' - The Singles CD right now on the RTi10's, sounds GREAT. I had forgotten how much I actually enjoy listening to The Police.

Cheers,
    Russ

I have that same CD and it sounded good too but the LP tops it. The bass just dives down low and growls, the drum shots stun ya.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I don't use grunt dvd players for cd playback. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I don't use grunt dvd players for cd playback. ;)

I'm just using the transport of the grunt dvd player for CD playback.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Well Joe as always it was a good time. I made it down there in record time as I was all excited to take my new turntable home with me. But first I had to hear all of Joe's improvements. Since last time he Bi amped the sda's and dynamated them and the new table. He threw on Jazz at the pawnshop and I sat in the sweetspot and closed my eyes and I was there. Then he put on the police and I was floored. The bass was unbelieveable my jaw dropped to the floor. Then Joe started talking about a tweak he read about on adjusting the VTA and the anti-stake and I was saying it's abut time we stated our project. Well he asked if there was anything else I wanted to listen to. I told him some Dire Straits Money for Nothing. We listened and then Joe said let me do that tweak I was just talking about. He went over and moved a dial on the tonearm and replayed money. Joe and I immediatly heard the diffrence. The sound was much richer and it seemed everything snapped into place. Now I was really excited about setting up my table.

We get Joe's table apart and put mine in place. Joe starts looking for an allen wrench so we can adjust the tonearm height. I loosen the screw and lower it down and we are too high off the platter. Joe and I looked at eachother and we are both saying aww Fu*k. We tried everything we could think of but could not get it to work. The solution is I need the 1/2 inch armborad instead on the 1 inch. Joe was upset and so was I but we both calmed down and I told him that **** happens and its no big deal and on the plus side we got to tweak his table. Well we put Joes table back together and he threw on the Beatles Love album for me and again I was floored. So hopefully we will have a solution at hand soon and I can bring her home. Joe as always great seeing you again man and dont be upset I still had a blast. Billy sorry I missed you have a good time tomorrow you are going to hear his system and have a big **** eating grin on your face.

Dave
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Joe, Thanks for the offer. I may just take you up on that sometime. Your system will probably ruin me for life. I am sure my CD player is part of the problem but other CD's just sound much better. I have tried all 3 of my systems with varying amps, speakers, source and pre amps and my results are consistent.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Joe, Thanks for the offer. I may just take you up on that sometime. Your system will probably ruin me for life. I am sure my CD player is part of the problem but other CD's just sound much better. I have tried all 3 of my systems with varying amps, speakers, source and pre amps and my results are consistent.

Scott

My rig isn't really anything near the high end. I think I just have a lot of good system synergy going on. I have a few pieces of gear that are high end but it is mostly somewhere in the middle. I just now started tweaking it and that is making all the difference in the world. . .BTW nice write up Dave.

Scott the next get together we plan I will be sure to let you know ahead of time. Our little crowd that started off with just me and Phil is turning out to be a real gaggle of geese!!! LOL
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sounds Good.

Just say the word.

Scott
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sounds Good.

Just say the word.

Scott

Thunderbird!!! Anyone who remembers that has to be in their late 40's early 50's.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Looking foward to the next get together. Hopefully get to meet a few more fellow polkies.