Phase issues with speakers in parallel

Options
HBombToo
HBombToo Posts: 5,256
edited January 2003 in Speakers
I have been running my 800i's in parallel with my RTA 8t's for my L/R for the better part of six months. I have ensured that each speaker run is exactly the same and the speakers are settup exactly with the same dims from the side wall/back wall on each side.

Things I have noticed are a wider image for the sweet spot. I can hit some very high SPL's with no problem. When panning from the front to rears I get very even SPL's. I have no issues with clarity at low levels and at high SPL's I really don't get fatigued.

I would appreciate all opinions on this settup regarding phase problems or anything you can think I should look out for.

Thanks
HBomb
***WAREMTAE***
Post edited by HBombToo on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Options
    So essentially you have a very large pair of Bose's twistable cubes.. so you can point the two tweeters in different directions to open up your sound stage? Great! You're getting your direct/reflected sound on without buying specialty "direct/reflecting" loudspeakers. Did you pay Bose a royalty??

The only two issues I can think of are phase and impedence. If you're running those two in parallel and they'd happen to have impedence dips in the same part of the audio spectrum, your amp could see a very low load.

Other than that.. if the wife doesn't care, and the kids can't knock them over...
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    So essentially you have a very large pair of Bose's twistable cubes.. so you can point the two tweeters in different directions to open up your sound stage? Great! You're getting your direct/reflected sound on without buying specialty "direct/reflecting" loudspeakers. Did you pay Bose a royalty??

The only two issues I can think of are phase and impedence. If you're running those two in parallel and they'd happen to have impedence dips in the same part of the audio spectrum, your amp could see a very low load.

Other than that.. if the wife doesn't care, and the kids can't knock them over...

Perhaps I should contact Bose and see what they will charge???
    :lol::lol::lol: That is a funny twist to my configuration.

I have considered impedance and figure my Outlaw at 350W Continuous @ 4 Ohm, "OK Russ ;)", at the levels I typically listen is just fine. I'm sure I'd nuke the speakers anyway before clipping.

From an Audiophile point of view I'm lost but have considered phase and the impact to the image... I think it sounds pretty darn good.

My 2 year old leaves the speakers alone and the Wife just shakes her head so I got it made on that point.

Thanks
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Try using a piece of string taped on to your sweet spot running to the inner left speaker and cut the string when it reaches the tweeter. Use the same string and get the same distance for your outer left speaker. Then do the same for your right speakers. This way all your speakers will be at the same distance to your ears and should minimize phase problems. After this set-up, you're outer speakers shold be slightly in front of your inner speakers.

Maurice
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Cool, instead of a string I used a tape measure and the outer speakers are about 6 inches in front of the inners.

Thanks for the advice.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***