Monitor 5 tweeter

Options
NeilGabriel
NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
The tweeter on these looks like the one with the rubber surround. The plate does not appear to have the Polk Audio logo. Someone identified this type of tweeter in another post, but I can't find it. It doesn't look like the SL2000 to me. Assuming it has the rubber, what is it? Assuming it doesn't, what do you think? There, that's clear. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Monitor-5s-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ320113944785QQihZ011QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Link as well.
Post edited by NeilGabriel on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    That looks like the SL2000's that were on my M5's. I now have the RDO194's
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • NeilGabriel
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You might be right. In another post here, I read about a tweeter with a rubber surround (not Peerless or one of the SLs). This sound familiar? I need to get those rdo194's ordered.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You might be right. In another post here, I read about a tweeter with a rubber surround (not Peerless or one of the SLs). This sound familiar? I need to get those rdo194's ordered.

That looks like an SL1000 tweeter. You are talking about SL2500 tweeter with the grey foam around it used in series 2 monitors. Sorry it may be a sl2000 after looking at the ebay pic. i don't think it is the right tweeter with being fuse protected.

JT
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    SL1000's I think have a diagnal down turn of the wires.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • NeilGabriel
    edited May 2007
    Options
    jtgranby wrote: »
    That looks like an SL1000 tweeter. You are talking about SL2500 tweeter with the grey foam around it used in series 2 monitors. Sorry it may be a sl2000 after looking at the ebay pic. i don't think it is the right tweeter with being fuse protected.

JT

my sl1000 has the silver plate...I thought they all did...this is probably just an sl2000 in a bad picture....
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    SL1000 has silver face plate. that's a SL2000 get rid of it.. and get the Polk silk replacement.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2007
    Options
    jtgranby wrote: »
    it may be a sl2000 after looking at the ebay pic. i don't think it is the right tweeter with being fuse protected.

JT

For the record there are Classic Monitor's that use the sl2000 and are fused instead of poly switches. My 5b's manufactured in 1985 has fuses and used the sl2000 tweet. I have the RD0's now.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    For the record there are Classic Monitor's that use the sl2000 and are fused instead of poly switches. My 5b's manufactured in 1985 has fuses and used the sl2000 tweet. I have the RD0's now.[/QUO

Thanks

I have never seen one fused,but I am a rookie. Have fun at PF tomorrow.

JT