SDA 2B Problem

Options
MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I had side lined my 2B's to repair the side panels and during all this I received some new RDO's. I finished the repair last night and let the speakers sit over night to let the glue dry and I hooked them up when I got home from work.

There does not seem to be the stereo sound on the right channel. I only replaced the tweeters and I did black to red and white to the other terminal but something is not right.

I am guessing crossover or I wired the new tweeters wrong. The SDA drivers are working and the left channel seems fine. If I unplug the SDA cable I get nothing out of the right channel.

I am all ears.

MLS
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Check for loose connections to the stereo drivers inside.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Check to make sure you plugged the speaker wire back into the speaker
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I will check later. I am Mr. Mom right now.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • dudeinaroom
    edited May 2007
    Options

Me too
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Been there doing that.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I took all the drivers out and all connections seem fine. I am getting stereo out put now but I had to adjust my balance to increase the right side to balance out the out put. I still think something is amiss and my gues would be a X-over component or something in my AVR or amp. I am to tired to start pulling things out right now to switch around out puts and inputs. Bass is also definately stronger from the left speaker.

As an aside most/if not all my component say SDA CRS+ on them from 1988.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2007
    Options

Scott

We have a lot in common. Miller Lite Mr. Mom and sda's:D

JT
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    JT, That's how I roll.:D

The plot thickens. I am also now noticing a fizzle sound from the right speaker/tweeter.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Options
    JT, That's how I roll.:D

The plot thickens. I am also now noticing a fizzle sound from the right speaker/tweeter.

Tell mom to play Mr. Dad and fix the things!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Mom is out working so I can retire in 4 years.:cool:
  • dudeinaroom
    edited May 2007
    Options
    jtgranby wrote: »
    Scott

We have a lot in common. Miller Lite Mr. Mom and sda's:D

JT

That makes 3 of us
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sounds to me like something is out of phase. If you have the SDA Compendium II, check all the wiring from the crossover to each speaker. Check to see if you have good connections at the binding posts and on the SDA cable terminals. Good luck!
    Carl

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,716
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sounds like you may have got a bad tweeter from Polk. Try swapping them and see if the problem switches speakers.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    disconnect one tweeter at a time and see if you can find the culprit
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you may have got a bad tweeter from Polk. Try swapping them and see if the problem switches speakers.

Ding Ding. Willy the 2nd is the big winner.

I did a little more diagnosing today and the tweeter was doing it's fizzle for shizzle. I switched it out with another new RDO from my RTA 11t and all is good.

Scott
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited May 2007
    Options
    What about the right channel stereo driver issue?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MillerLiteScott
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I fiddled around with the wires and everything seems to be working for now. The pin of the SDA input seemed very loose but I have not tested the left speaker to see if that is normal. I don't know I am learning as I go. I still think that the bass is not as strong with the right as the left, so something is not up to snuff. The speaker seems to be air tight.

I am Mr. Mom again so I will give another listen later tonight.

Scott