Bass Noise/RF Thump when Sub is Idle

I am battling a problem with my PSB Subsonic II (90 Watt) giving Bass Noise/RF Thump when Sub is Idle (on standby)

For example; when the Heat Pump kicks in, I get a low level low frequency thumping which is driving us near madness. It does it when the vacuum cleaner is turned on, etc.

I called the PSB folks first, and they said it may be Radio Frequency (RF) interference in the electrical outlet.

So, I bought a Panamax 8 surge suppressor with RF eliminator, and even tried different electrical outlets in the vicinity, but it still does it very often.

The last solution is to turn the sub on/off separately, which is kind of a PITA.

Any thoughts, and your time is appreciated in advance!!!
Tony G
** My Setup **
Polk SDA 2b
Polk Monitor 5jr
NAD 3400 Integrated Amp (100w)
PSB Subsonic II Powered Subwoofer (90w)
Sony CDP-302 CD Player
NAD 6340 Cassette Player
Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
Phase Technology Power 12 Sub
Polk SDA 1
NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
NAD 6340 Cassette
Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
Post edited by TONYGVISINET on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    All I can say is - Unplug it for a while, and try again later. It will eventually go away tho
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    You may have a ground loop. Buy a cheater plug and plug the sub into that and see what happens.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TONYGVISINET
    TONYGVISINET Posts: 24
    edited January 2003
    What if the Sub Plug has no ground pin? (Only has the two blades)
    Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
    Polk SDA 1
    NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
    NAD 6340 Cassette
    Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Then that wasn't the problem. Guys - anything else?
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    All I can say is - Unplug it for a while, and try again later. It will eventually go away tho
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TONYGVISINET
    edited January 2003
    It does not go away after unplugging it for 5 mins.
    Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
    Polk SDA 1
    NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
    NAD 6340 Cassette
    Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    It won't go away. Had one of mine in an outlet on the same circuit as the light for our fish tank. Every time I turned the light off I got a nice 60 hZ THUMP from the sub. Moved it to the other side of the room to a different circuit and the problem is gone.

I would make sure that the neutrals and grounds aren't crossed in the outlets and for the heat pump. Not knowing anything about your house you may be SOL. I lived in one several years ago that was so underpowered that I had to manually turn the A/C off while recording. Every time the compressor came on my CD player would pause from the voltage drop.

An isolation transformer is another idea, albeit a pricey alternative to just turning it off.

Wally
  • TONYGVISINET
    edited January 2003
    I called a Hi End Stereo store: the advice the gave was to buy a Cable TV Ground loop isolator adapter and install it to the location where the cable tv enters the house (at the split).

What do we think of that?
    Tony G - Gloucester, Va

Denon 1650AR CD
    Polk SDA 1
    NAD 3400 Int Amp (100w)
    NAD 6340 Cassette
    Kenwood KT-31B Tuner
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    Those are for eliminating hum from cable ground problems (ground loop as Doc pointed out-your house has its ground and the cable has its own). Yours is surge related and I don't think it will do anything since your problem has nothing to do with your cable.

Some steps:
    1) Call your electric company. A lot of them will come out and do a free analysis.
    2) Go to your local Rat Shack and get an Outlet Analyzer. Part #22-141, cost $6. If your neutrals and grounds are crossed it will tell you.
    3) Your entire home may be underpowered. I have 200A service coming into mine and still have lights flicker if too many appliances are running and the HVAC cycles.
    4) Make sure your heat pump is properly grounded.
    5) The breaker for your heat pump may be too close in the panel to the breaker for the circuit your sub is using (long shot on this one).
    6) Move the sub to a circuit furthest away from its current location and not on the same circuit. This one's tricky with the way they wire houses, hopefully your breaker panel is marked. Leave it in standby and cycle the power to the HVAC, turn the vacuum cleaner off and on. If the thump is gone, the problem is the circuit where you normally have the sub.

Just some thoughts, if I have any more I'll post them.

Wally