DIY Speaker Stands

Options
SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited May 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Do I need speaker stands . . . or can I used two lamp tables of a perfect height? Is there some benefit that escapes my perception?
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You can also check out my DIY speaker stands whenever you make it over.

In the speaker stand world the heavier and more solid, the better.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Stands, preferrably spiked and shot/sand fillable are the best option. You can get a decent pair that meets that criteria for less than $100 - why even bother with DIY, unless you just want a project or a custom fit, which is fine too.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • provia
    provia Posts: 1
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You can use whatever you want as long as it is stable and won't topple over when you crank up the volume. The shelf or top it sits on should not extend past the face of the speaker as you may get reflections or diffractions from the nearest driver.

But Russman has a point, stands don't cost too much these days. So unless what you are thinking of using "fits" into your room decor better, you're better off getting made stands that will probably fit under the speakers and not protrude all over.
    Gary E

Polk ST1000P
    Sony ES-50
    B&K ST140
    Bryston 1B
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I had no idea stands could be had for so cheap. I'm going to have to do some searching.
  • Jonesy
    Jonesy Posts: 189
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I like making my own as I can custom fit them for the particular installation and make them look like whatever I want. Plus they are cheap and easy to make. The most recent pair I made were for a set of Monitor 7b's (note the Polk recommended 3 degree tilt). The first set I built were for my R20's. I also recently made a pair for my daughter's first real stereo (Monitor 5jr's) I put together for her b-day.