Something has gone awry!!!!

Options
thehalo8
thehalo8 Posts: 127
I was harmlessly watching my Fight Club DVD last night, and then my front left main just stopped playing without warning!! I checked the wires to the speaker and the receiver, and they both looked fine. I disconnected both, and reconnected them; still no sound?? My DVD player sends audio to the DVD plugs in the back of my receiver (Onkyo TX-DS696). I checked them and still no luck.

My cable comes through my VCR which goes into plug video 1. It too does not receive any audio through it when I turn up the volume. I checked the wires for the vcr and the receiver and they are also fine. I used the calibration test on the receiver and the test signal comes though the speaker just fine. What gives!?!?!?!?!? So I try the vcr again, still nothing.

Ok, so now I give the ol tape deck a try. Eureka, we have beautiful sounds coming from the speaker. Next the ol CD changer, it too works!!! The tape deck and the CD changer both hook up to their respectively labeled plugs in the back of the receiver. I try the DVD player and vcr again.......still no luck.

I am out of ideas, can somebody please give me another idea to try??? PLEASE :confused:
Mains: Polk RTi70's
Center: Polk CSi40
Surrounds: Polk TC60i's
Sub: Polk PSW505
Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS696
TV: Samsung HLS 5687W 56"
DVD: Sony DVP S5300
Protection: Monster HTS 3600
Backup Battery: Belkin AP3080010
Post edited by thehalo8 on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    U check the cables on the back of the dvd player?
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • thehalo8
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes sir :/
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2003
    Options
    If I had to guess, you have a bad interconnect. Swap out with one of your other interconnects and see if that's the problem. I've had this happen a couple of times.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by thehalo8
    Yes sir :/

Well ill be...i feel like a king....muahahahah
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    My guess would be that Fight Club is such a bad movie that your equipment self-destructed.
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited January 2003
    Options
    You initially say just your left front is out. Is it the left or both?
    If it is just the left, try switching the audio in wires from left to right. If that works, take a deep breath, and know you have a bad cable.
    If that does not help, try this. it sounds like you are using RCA audio in jacks for your DVD audio, and not an optical link for your dvd. Run the audio from another component, like a tape deck or a CD player into the same jacks you go into from the DVD player. Use low volume levels to check for sound. If you still have no sound, you have lost something in the input stage of your amplifier and it is time to go in for repair. :(
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited January 2003
    Options
    and if you are using rca anolog cables from your dvd... get a digital connection man................hope you get things figured out, i hate it when my s@#t gets moody.
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Options
    A little logic applied here...

When you have a video source, you lose one channel of output.

When you have an audio source, all your outputs are fine.

When you use the receiver's test tones, you have all channels.

Conclusion: the problem is NOT the actual amplifier for the channel, nor anything general about the receiver. The problem resides in the video switching within the receiver.

It is most likely NOT a cable because you have the problem on both DVD and VCR, which use different cables, I presume.

I believe someone suggested switching your source components to different jacks... I agree. Connect the analog outputs of your DVD player to the CD inputs on your receiver and see if you get both channels. Do the same with the VCR. Try the DVD and the VCR on your Tape input also.. see if you get sound.

Connect your CD player to analog DVD input on the receiver and see if you get sound.. do the same with whatever input you're using for your VCR and see if you get sound.

Keep track of all this stuff... see if the result shows that, regardless of source, the receiver plays fine when CD or TAPE is the selected input, but you lose a channel when DVD or VCR is selected on the receiver. If so.. it is your internal video switching.
  • thehalo8
    edited January 2003
    Options
    First off, my mistake in the original post. The DVD audio connection is through an optical cable, not with RCAs. :rolleyes:

I appreciate the helpful suggestions and the sarcastic comments that you all posted. Tonight I am going to be pulling out the entertainment center again, and trouble shoot till it works. I am definitely starting out with your suggestion Burdette; I do not know why I did not think of that?!?!?! I guess that's why they created this forum.

Hopefully I will be able to pin point the problem area, so that I can either fix it or get it fixed. I will let you know how it all turns out.....
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2003
    Options
    It is the AUDIO portion of your Video-switching electronics, since I assume you're getting the correct picture on the screen. The 'video' switching has to route the video as well as the correct audio... and I beleive your problem lies in that audio portion of the video signal path, before it gets to the amp stage. Just to clarify.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    My guess would be that Fight Club is such a bad movie that your equipment self-destructed.

agreed! the movie toasted your DVD player. :lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • thehalo8
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Ok, I have some good news and some bad news. I moved out the entertainment system yesterday and did some inspecting. I noticed that audio from my DVD player was connected to my receiver with both optical and RCA connections. I permanently unplugged the RCA's, I unplugged the optical and plugged it back in, and now the DVD player works great. I do not know why that would have effected the sound, but as long as it is working that is great.

Now, after changing wires, inputs on the receiver, and speakers I have discovered the culprit to my sound issue. The VCR's connector for the left channel is not working. Looks like I have to go pick up a new VCR, or perhaps just pick up a TIVO and trash the old technology. It sucks not being able to watch the football playoffs without the surround sound; I love hearing the big hits :eek: