Rear Center Speaker Recs

dsc
dsc Posts: 14
edited January 2003 in Speakers
OOC, what are people using for a rear center speaker on their 6.1 systems?

I know someone will ask so I will provide the info: Yamaha RxV1000, Orig. Polk 10s, Cs400, Fx 500, and PSW650.

I thought about trying to find a pair of Fx500s and splitting the pair (where I intend to put the speaker a single Fx500 would fit perfectly; on a cabinet about 6 feet high).

Thanks and regards,

Dewey
Dewey Clark, owner
Historic Timkeepers, Inc
Full restoration services ofr precision timekeepers
http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Post edited by dsc on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    This question is asked about once or twice aweek. My suggestion and what most people are happy with is a center channel. That way your 6.1 sort of mimics your frontstage. Plus with a center you will get more coverage from a direct speaker. And direct is what 6.1 calls for. I have the RT series and I use the CS245i and it works flawlessly. The CS400 would be a excellent chose also. Now you may have to look at the csi40. Set it up high and angle it down. Later!!!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2003
    I've tried both the CS400 as a single center back surround and the RT55i speakers as a pair about 3 feet apart. I'm thinking I'll go back to the CS400 again, although Denon recommends using two back surround speakers. Two speakers in back seem like overkill. I listen to 5 channel music rather than 7 channel, but do use the back surround for movies.

I'm not sure Dewey, but isn't the Yamaha reciever you mention designed for 6.1 instead of 7.1? If so, a single matching CS400 should be ideal for the location.
  • dsc
    dsc Posts: 14
    edited January 2003
    Thanks, I found some of those past requests.

The problem is one of aesthetics. I really don't want a large center speaker where this will go.

I do understand that a surround speaker like the Fx 500 is not a good choice.

I guess the question becomes, is there a suitable bookshelf speaker out there that is the size of the Fxs?
    Dewey Clark, owner
    Historic Timkeepers, Inc
    Full restoration services ofr precision timekeepers
    http://www.historictimekeepers.com
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    befor i wnt to 7.1 i had my free rt10 as the rear center and fx 500i as the surounds. now i have 7.1 i have fx 500i all the way around. got the rt 10 free with purchase.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    I guess the question becomes, is there a suitable bookshelf speaker out there that is the size of the Fxs?
    Ya, that would be the rt35 or rt35i. But they are getting hard to find.